Probability of Opening Door with 2 Keys Out of 6

In summary: I was saying that the basic probability is 2/6 and using the binomial distribution we can calculate the probability of not being able to open the door (which is 26%). In summary, the conversation discussed the probability of being able to open a door when one key is lost among six total keys. The first part calculated the probability of still being able to open the door, which was determined to be 2/3. The second part used the binomial distribution to calculate the probability of the first two keys opening the door, resulting in a probability of 5%. There was also a discussion about the use of binomial coefficients in this problem.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

There are two locks on the door and the keys are among the six different ones you carry. In a hurry, you dropped one somewhere. What is the probability that you can still open the door? What is the probability that the first two keys you try will open the door?

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the first part, I supposed that the six keys have numbers on them, 1 through six. Thus, my complete set of keys in {1 2 3 4 5 6}. If I lose one, I can construct the following subsets:

{1 2 3 4 5}
{1 2 3 4 6}
{1 2 3 5 6}
{1 2 4 5 6}
{1 3 4 5 6}
{2 3 4 5 6}

This is all very arbitrary so let us suppose that keys 1 and 2 are required to open the door. Thus, we can see from inspection that I can still open the door 4 times out of the six total possibilities. Thus, the probability is 4/6 = 2/3.

For the second part, I said that the remaining five keys can permute among themselves in 5! ways. We multiply this value by six since we have 6 different possibilities for the key that we lose. We fix the two required keys, and the remaining 3 keys in our subset can permute in 3! ways. Thus, the probability is [itex]\frac{(2)(3!)}{(6)(5!)}[/itex]. But this seems very low to me. Did I do something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you open the door or not? I think that the first question can be solved by the binomial distribution.
The basic probability is 2/6 i.e. the probability of not being able to open the door. I get the result 26% for not being able, so 64% would be my answer.

The 2nd question is very basic i'd say. First you have to multiply the 64% with the probability of having the first key correct and then the 2nd. i get the result 5%

dikmikkel said:
Can you open the door or not? I think that the first question can be solved by the binomial distribution.
The basic probability is 2/6 i.e. the probability of not being able to open the door. I get the result 26% for not being able, so 64% would be my answer.

The 2nd question is very basic i'd say. First you have to multiply the 64% with the probability of having the first key correct and then the 2nd. i get the result 5%

Why do you say that 2/6 = 26%?

For the second question, let C = {can open the door} and F = {first two keys work}. We have P{F} = P{F|C}P{C}, with P{C} = 2/3. Given C we have 5 keys among which are the two good ones. To get P{F|C}, note that the first key drawn must be one of the two good ones, then the next key must be the remaining good one. Binomial coefficients C(n,m) do not apply in this problem because the order in which the events occur (not just their number) is important in this question.

RGV

I think the probability is 1/60.

I used the binomial distribution i didn't say that 2/6 = 26%.

1. What is the probability of opening a door with 2 keys out of 6?

The probability of opening a door with 2 keys out of 6 is 1/15 or 6.67%. This can be calculated by dividing the number of ways to choose 2 keys out of 6 (15) by the total number of possible combinations (6 choose 2 = 15).

2. How many different combinations of 2 keys out of 6 are there?

There are 15 different combinations of 2 keys out of 6. This can be calculated using the combination formula n choose k = n! / (k!(n-k)!), where n is the total number of items (6) and k is the number of items chosen (2).

3. Is the probability affected if the keys are identical or different?

Yes, the probability is affected by whether the keys are identical or different. If the keys are identical, there are only 3 possible combinations (AA, BB, CC) and the probability of opening the door with 2 keys out of 6 is 1/3 or 33.33%. If the keys are different, there are 15 possible combinations and the probability is 1/15 or 6.67%.

4. How can the probability of opening the door be increased?

The probability of opening the door can be increased by increasing the number of keys available. For example, if there are 10 keys instead of 6, the probability of opening the door with 2 keys out of 10 would be 1/45 or 2.22%. Alternatively, if the keys are not identical, the probability can be increased by choosing keys that are more likely to fit the lock.

5. Can the probability of opening the door be less than 1/15?

No, the probability of opening the door with 2 keys out of 6 cannot be less than 1/15. This is the minimum probability and it occurs when the keys are different and there are 15 possible combinations. If the keys are identical or there are fewer than 15 possible combinations, the probability will be higher than 1/15.