1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Counting problem

1. Jun 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

100 hundred people are to be divided into 10 discussion groups with 10 people in each group
    how many ways can this be done.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So if we think of it as people on a 10 by 10 grid their are 100! ways of populating the grid and then 10! ways or rearranging the columns and 10! ways of rearranging the rows.
    so would the answer be
    [itex] \frac{100!}{10!^{10}10!} [/itex]
    I have 10!^10 because there are ten columns and each of those 10 columns can be arranged 10! ways. And the other 10! on the bottom because I could rearrange those rows 10! ways. And I divide 100! by them because we are over counting. If we switch the people around in the group it is still a distinct group.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

didn't totally follow the re-arranging of the cols, so as another way for the first group we choose 10 from 100 without order
    [tex] \frac{100!}{10!90!} [/tex]

for the 2nd group we choose 10 from 90 without order
    [tex] \frac{90!}{10!80!} [/tex]

so putting these together for both groups we get
    [tex] \frac{100!}{10!90!} \frac{90!}{10!80!} = \frac{100!}{10!^280!} [/tex]

and so on, once finished counting the groups we need to account for the different ways to arrange ten groups which represents the repeated counts -

but its starting to look pretty similar to your answer...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  4. Jun 28, 2011 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

also another check would be to see if you formula generalise to n^2 people in n groups and check for n = 2 and n= 3

5. Jun 28, 2011 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

ok - so i get your idea now, but think it needs a little tweek.. the rows got me

100! ways to populate a grid, where the columns represent a group
    - 10! ways to rearrange within a single column and 10 columns gives a total (10!)^10 ways to rearrange within columns
    - there is also 10! different ways to arrange the columns themsleves
    So in all there is (10!)^11 ways to rearrange the grid for a given combination that leads to the same group structure

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  6. Jun 28, 2011 #5
    thanks for your responses, ya i think my answer makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook