How many elements are in a set of unique rational numbers from 1 to 9?

In summary, there is a simpler way to count the elements in the set of primes that divide ##9##, but it is a slower way.
Born
Let ##T = \{ \frac{n}{m}\in \mathbb{Q} \vert n, m \in \{ 1, 2, ..., 9 \} \}##

No values can repeat (e.g. ##\frac{2}{2},\frac{3}{3},...##)

How many elements does the set have. I could just go ahead and count the elements and eliminate the repeats, but I'm wondering if there is a simpler (and more elegant) way to do it?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Born said:

No values can repeat (e.g. ##\frac{2}{2},frac{3}{3},...##

What is the question?

Sorry, edited the mistake. The question would be; is there a simpler (and more elegant) way to count the number of elements in the set?

I don't believe there is a more elegant way. At least I can't think of one.

I think this way is more "elegant", but is probably a slower way of counting elements in ##T_9##. I think this does provide a faster way of counting ##T_k = \left\{\dfrac{n}{m}: \enspace n,m\in\{1,...,k\}\right\}## for larger ##k\in \mathbb N##.

Let ##P=\{2,3,5,7\}##, the set of primes that divide ##9##. For each ##D\subseteq P##, let ##M_D## denote the set of numbers whose prime factorization has positive exponents for exactly the primes ##D##. Let ##\mathcal D = \{(D,E): \enspace D,E\subseteq P, \enspace D\cap E=\emptyset\}##.

Then ##T_9 = \bigcup_{(D,E)\in \mathcal D} \left\{ \dfrac{n}{m}: \enspace n\in M_D, m\in M_E \right\}##, and the last expression has no repetition anywhere.

Likes 1 person
Born said:

No values can repeat (e.g. ##\frac{2}{2},\frac{3}{3},...##)

How many elements does the set have. I could just go ahead and count the elements and eliminate the repeats, but I'm wondering if there is a simpler (and more elegant) way to do it?

Thanks

I don't think there is as simpler way, but you never know...

1. What is a set of rationals?

A set of rationals is a collection of numbers that can be expressed as a fraction, where the numerator and denominator are both integers. It includes all positive and negative numbers, as well as 0, and is denoted by the symbol Q.

2. How do you count a set of rationals?

To count a set of rationals, you can simply list out the numbers in the set. For example, if the set is {1/2, -3/4, 0, 2/3}, the count would be 4.

3. What is the difference between a set of rationals and a set of integers?

A set of integers only includes whole numbers and their negative counterparts, while a set of rationals includes fractions and decimals. In other words, a set of integers is a subset of a set of rationals.

4. How can counting a set of rationals be useful in scientific research?

Counting a set of rationals can be useful in various scientific fields such as economics, physics, and statistics. It can help in analyzing data, making predictions, and identifying patterns.

5. Can the set of rationals be counted to infinity?

Yes, the set of rationals can be counted to infinity as it is an infinite set. This means that no matter how many numbers are added to the set, there will always be more rationals to count.