Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Counting set of rationals

1. Sep 15, 2014 #1
    Let ##T = \{ \frac{n}{m}\in \mathbb{Q} \vert n, m \in \{ 1, 2, ..., 9 \} \}##

No values can repeat (e.g. ##\frac{2}{2},\frac{3}{3},...##)

How many elements does the set have. I could just go ahead and count the elements and eliminate the repeats, but I'm wondering if there is a simpler (and more elegant) way to do it?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the question?

4. Sep 15, 2014 #3
    Sorry, edited the mistake. The question would be; is there a simpler (and more elegant) way to count the number of elements in the set?

5. Sep 16, 2014 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't believe there is a more elegant way. At least I can't think of one.

6. Sep 16, 2014 #5
    I think this way is more "elegant", but is probably a slower way of counting elements in ##T_9##. I think this does provide a faster way of counting ##T_k = \left\{\dfrac{n}{m}: \enspace n,m\in\{1,...,k\}\right\}## for larger ##k\in \mathbb N##.

Let ##P=\{2,3,5,7\}##, the set of primes that divide ##9##. For each ##D\subseteq P##, let ##M_D## denote the set of numbers whose prime factorization has positive exponents for exactly the primes ##D##. Let ##\mathcal D = \{(D,E): \enspace D,E\subseteq P, \enspace D\cap E=\emptyset\}##.

Then ##T_9 = \bigcup_{(D,E)\in \mathcal D} \left\{ \dfrac{n}{m}: \enspace n\in M_D, m\in M_E \right\}##, and the last expression has no repetition anywhere.

7. Sep 17, 2014 #6
    I don't think there is as simpler way, but you never know....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook