1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Counting strings

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Given that the ASCII character system has 128 possible characters how many 5 character strings are there with at least one occurence of the '@' symbol.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So clearly which symbol we're using doesn't matter, and I see that the right answer comes from considering the total number of length 5 character strings minus the number of strings not containing the '@' character i.e. [tex]128^5-127^5[/tex].

My real question is what is wrong with the reasoning that we have 5 choices for where to put the '@' symbol multiplied by the [tex]128^4[/tex] possible strings from the other 4 characters. I can see that [tex]128^5-127^5 \not= 5(128^4)[/tex], but I'm wondering where the flaw in the reasoning is
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2
    I think I've figured it out by considering a much smaller alphabet and character length. I was obviously overcounting, but now I see that I'm counting the strings with more than one instance of the character several times each.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?