Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Counting the number of sets.

1. Mar 3, 2016 #1

ssd

Came to know about the following problem from a friend which can be simplified to the following:
    A1, A2, ....Am and B1, B2,...Bn are two groups of sets each group spanning the sample space.
    Now there are p elements in each of Ai and each element is in exactly p1 of the sets of the A group.
    Again there are q elements in each of Bi and each element is in exactly q1 of the sets of the B group.
    We have to write, 'n' in terms of m,p,p1,q,q1. Thanks for any ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Denote the sample space by ##S##. Let us take the set ##\Omega = \{(x,k)~\vert~x\in A_k\}##. Let's count the elements in ##\Omega## in two ways. In the first way, we first choose an element ##x\in S##, this can be done in ##|S|## ways. Then I choose ##k## such that ##x\in A_k##. This can be done in ##p_1## ways. Furthermore every choice I make yields different elements of ##\Omega##. So ##|\Omega| = |S| p_1##.
    I can also choose ##k## first, this can be done in ##m## ways. Then I can choose ##x## such that ##x\in A_k##, this can be done in ##p## ways. Every choice I made yields different elements of ##\Omega##. Thus ##|\Omega| = pm##. So we get ##|S| p_1 = pm##. I leave the rest of the solution to you.

4. Mar 3, 2016 #3

ssd

Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted