Counting Theorem: Creating Squares w/ 8 Equilateral Triangles

In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem of making squares using eight equilateral triangles, with black and white colors, and determining the number of different squares that can be made. It also mentions counting rotations and understanding the concept of group D8 acting on the square. The conversation ends with the speaker requesting clarification on the concept.
rohan03
I recently came across this theorem for the first time and read lot of theory however I am really confused with all the examples - specially 3d objects. So I decided to pick up simpler version. I have attached the diagram

If a square is made up of eight equilateral triangles - using black and white colour how many different such squares can be made and each trigaular tiles can be balck or white. Also if two squares are regarded as the same when a rotation or reflection takes one to the other.

Now I understand that you count fix G - so here group is D8 acting on the square ( Hope my understanding is right)

So you get first FIx G as e or identity and 8 tiles two colours so that gives 28

I know you count rotation through ∏ , ∏/2 and 2∏/3

but this is where my understanding stops. If someone can explain to me this i will appreciate it.
I tried just four quardrant and I understood that by colouring it but I can't get my head around anything slightly complicated such as this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey rohan03.

You said you attached the diagram, but it isn't coming up for me. Do you have a link to the diagram?

Don't know what happened. Will reattached once have an access to my pc

1. What is the Counting Theorem?

The Counting Theorem is a mathematical concept that states that the number of ways to arrange a certain number of objects in a given pattern can be determined by counting the number of possible arrangements.

2. How many squares can be created using 8 equilateral triangles?

Using the Counting Theorem, we can determine that there are 6 unique ways to arrange 8 equilateral triangles to form a square. These arrangements include rotating and flipping the triangles.

3. Can the Counting Theorem be applied to other shapes and objects?

Yes, the Counting Theorem can be applied to a variety of shapes and objects. It is a fundamental concept in combinatorics, which is the branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects.

4. Is the Counting Theorem used in any real-world applications?

Yes, the Counting Theorem has many practical applications, such as in probability and statistics, coding theory, and computer science. It is also used in fields like genetics, where it can be used to calculate the number of possible genetic combinations.

5. How can the Counting Theorem be proven?

The Counting Theorem can be proven using mathematical induction, which is a method of mathematical proof that involves proving a statement for a base case and then showing that if the statement is true for a particular case, it is also true for the next case. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all cases.