Counting Theory and Addition Rule Confuses Me

In summary, the number of 16-bit strings with exactly nine 1's is 11440. The number of 16-bit strings with at least fourteen 1's is {{16}\choose {14}} + {{16}\choose {15}} + {{16}\choose {16}}. When determining how to get 2 pair in a poker hand, it is important to correctly treat choosing denominations in the same order, as 1/2 of the total number of combinations.
sjaguar13
How many 16-bit strings contain exactly nine 1's? I said the total number is 2 to the 16th power, so to get half with 1's would be 2 to the 8th, or 256.

How many 16-bit strings contain at least fourteen 1's? I have no idea.

When determining a how to get 2 pair in a poker hand, why is getting the denomination of the first pair, then the 2 cards, then the demonitation of the second pair, then the 2 cards wrong? I know you have to get the two denominations first, 13 choose 2 instead of 13 choose 1 and then 12 choose 1, but I don't know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
sjaguar13 said:
How many 16-bit strings contain exactly nine 1's? I said the total number is 2 to the 16th power, so to get half with 1's would be 2 to the 8th, or 256.
I have no idea what you did here. The number of 16-bit strings with nine 1's is equal to the number of ways you can choose 9 spots in 16 (to fill them with ones, leaving the rest with zeroes). That number is:

[tex]{{16}\choose {9}} = 11440[/tex]
How many 16-bit strings contain at least fourteen 1's? I have no idea.
[itex]{{16}\choose {14}} + {{16}\choose {15}} + {{16}\choose {16}} = 137[/itex]*.
When determining a how to get 2 pair in a poker hand, why is getting the denomination of the first pair, then the 2 cards, then the demonitation of the second pair, then the 2 cards wrong? I know you have to get the two denominations first, 13 choose 2 instead of 13 choose 1 and then 12 choose 1, but I don't know why.
Notice that:

[tex]{{13}\choose {2}} = \frac{1}{2} \times {{13}\choose {1}} {{12}\choose {1}}[/tex]

That is, the stuff on the left is 1/2 the stuff on the right. Now why is the stuff on the left right? Because it correctly treats choosing 5 and J as denominations the same as choosing J and 5, whereas your approach treats them as two different cases, so you'd have to divide by 2 (which is already done if you do it the way you know you're supposed to).

*EDIT: Missed the part that said, "at least"

Last edited:
I don't think [itex]{{16}\choose {14}}[/itex] is the correct answer to the second problem, seeing as he's asking for the number of 16-bit strings with /at least/ 14 ones. That means you have to count the number of strings with 15 ones and 16 ones as well. So the answer should be:

[tex]{{16}\choose {14}} + {{16}\choose {15}} + {{16}\choose {16}}.[/tex]

What is counting theory?

Counting theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of counting and combinations, often used in probability and statistics. It helps us understand the different ways in which objects can be combined or arranged in a set.

What is the addition rule?

The addition rule is a fundamental principle in counting theory that states that the total number of outcomes of two or more independent events is equal to the sum of the number of outcomes of each individual event. This rule is often used to calculate probabilities in situations where multiple events can occur.

How does counting theory relate to the addition rule?

Counting theory provides us with the tools and techniques to determine the number of outcomes of a given event or scenario. The addition rule is an application of counting theory, as it allows us to combine the outcomes of multiple events to calculate the total number of possible outcomes.

Why does counting theory and the addition rule confuse me?

Counting theory and the addition rule can be confusing because they involve complex mathematical concepts and formulas. Additionally, understanding the relationship between them can be challenging for some individuals.

How can I improve my understanding of counting theory and the addition rule?

To improve your understanding of counting theory and the addition rule, it is helpful to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the different formulas and techniques used in these concepts. Seeking additional resources or seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also aid in improving your understanding.