How to Count Wick Contractions in Phi^3 Theory?

• Thread starter Dixanadu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time ordered product for a phi^{3} theory and the difficulty in counting Wick contractions. The individual has counted the first and second order contractions, but is struggling with the third order. The current progress includes the factors for the first and second order contractions, but the factor for the third order is unknown. Assistance is needed to determine the factor and complete the calculation.
Dixanadu
Hi guys,

So basically I'm trying to find the time ordered product:

[itex]T(:\phi^{3}(x)::\phi^{3}(y):)[/itex]

for a phi^{3} theory and I'm really having trouble counting the Wick contractions. I've counted the first order contractions which I found to be 9. Second order I got 12 but I don't know if its right, and 3rd order is hopeless. So here's where I'm at so far:

[itex]T(:\phi^{3}(x)::\phi^{3}(y):)\\
=:\phi^{3}(x)\phi^{3}(y):+9i\Delta_{F}(x-y):\phi^{2}(x)\phi^{2}(y):+12(i\Delta_{F}(x-y))^{2}:\phi(x)\phi(y): + A(i\Delta_{F}(x-y))^{3}[/itex]

and I don't know if the factor of 12 is right, or how to find A. I need help!

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay I think i got A = 6 but no idea lol...:\

What is the purpose of counting Wick contractions?

Counting Wick contractions is a technique used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability amplitude of a specific particle interaction. It helps to simplify complex mathematical equations and make predictions about the behavior of particles.

How do you perform a Wick contraction?

A Wick contraction involves pairing up fields in a mathematical expression using a specific set of rules. First, all fields must have the same spin and momentum. Then, the fields are paired up in all possible combinations, taking into account any possible overlaps or singularities. The resulting contraction is then simplified to a single number.

What are the limitations of counting Wick contractions?

One limitation of counting Wick contractions is that it can only be applied to certain types of particles and interactions. It also assumes that the particles are non-interacting, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the technique can become increasingly complex and time-consuming for higher-order calculations.

Can Wick contractions be used in all quantum field theories?

No, Wick contractions are specific to perturbative quantum field theory, which is a type of quantum field theory that uses mathematical approximations to make predictions. It cannot be applied to non-perturbative theories, such as lattice quantum chromodynamics.

What are the advantages of using counting Wick contractions?

Counting Wick contractions allows for the calculation of otherwise difficult or impossible mathematical expressions in quantum field theory. It also provides a way to make predictions about particle interactions and behavior, which can then be tested through experiments. Additionally, it can help to identify symmetries and patterns in the behavior of particles.