Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Country music

1. May 26, 2004 #1
    Is anyone of you here into this genre ? Who do you like most ?(singers)
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2004 #2
    i like the new stuff, rockin country
  4. May 26, 2004 #3

Staff: Mentor

5. May 26, 2004 #4
    i like country music so much that when I am at school, I ues headfone
    When i am at home, I use radio
    And when I use it, everyone knows because I like noise, and I like to draw people attention. <<<<<<<smilies>>>>>>>>>
  6. May 26, 2004 #5
    thats too much country haha jk
    its good to have a varied music interests
  7. May 26, 2004 #6
    Country music is kewl always kewl to me.
    When i look at your avatar, I guess you like rock-n-roll, perhaps "sharp" rock, hit and kick hard like guitar sounds <<smila>>
  8. May 26, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

can't stand it.
  9. May 26, 2004 #8
    I have been exposed (and have exposed myself :shy: ) to a multitude of different musical genres. It took a little time to develop an appreciation for country music, as I now recall, but I do enjoy listening to some of it. Sometimes the lyrics express to me something meaningful and deep, sometimes it is only the tempo and vocals that appeal, occasional all aspects combine to form something extra special. Still;

The old-time Calypso really sweet,
    Plenty rhythm and plenty beat.
    They have some great Calypso today,
    But don’t forget yesterday.
    Blow wind blow, blow wind blow,
    Sometimes I wish the wind would blow back the old-time Calypso.

-The Tradewinds

You can download a free sample if you’d like to expose yourself to something perhaps a little different (this song is track number 4) ;

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2004
  10. May 26, 2004 #9
  11. May 26, 2004 #10
    Im not really a fan of country music, but I do like instrumental bluegrass by artists like YoYo Ma. Nothin' gets me fiddlin' like some good ol' fashion folk music.
  12. May 26, 2004 #11

Science Advisor

I like a lot of it in the mid-1950s to early 1970s. Johnny Cash especially. Buck Owens in his early years with the Buckaroos too. And if any song ever had more attitude than Jeannie Riley's Harper Valley P.T.A., I'd like to know what it is.
  13. May 27, 2004 #12
    Am not a huge fan of country music. It's just tooooo... blah! My cousin from kentucky came to SA last year and she made me listen to some of her cd's.. it was really bad. Like eating boiled socks with cabbage.
  14. May 27, 2004 #13
    Oh my, That Jeff Miller's guitar image reminds me of "Spanish Guitar" by Toni Braxton. Not in this genre though,

Oh well, you are not a hugh fan but you are still a fan, right ? It is just that you are not a hugh one...:smile. But you know, I always believe people who say No to something are those who actually always want to say YES..:smile. (just a joke, since it is your own private "hobby").

I like GeorgeStraits, TimMcGraw, and many others
    i also agree with BoulderHead that sometimes there are also lots of considerate lyrics, yes very thoughtful, i love country rythm.
    And my answer to Rap/Hiphop is a big No.

Listen, Everyone, is it true that most of the cases, only aged people love Country music ???
    I don't know but I am still not reaching 50...
  15. May 27, 2004 #14
    Woooooooaahhh. I am not a fan of country music at all i was just trying to be subtle about my dislike for it. Anyways, if u can point out any good country music cd that i could listen to I wouldnt mind giving it a chance at redeeming itself. nothing with banjos.... thats just freaky
  16. May 27, 2004 #15
    What's wrong with banjos? I find them more interesting than the standard acoustic guitar that ive heard throughout the country music scene. booring.
  17. May 27, 2004 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think modern country is about as bad as you can get, but I can dig some of the older stuff. Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, some bluegrass.
  18. May 27, 2004 #17

Science Advisor

Yup, I can only think of about 3 country songs that DON'T make me want to kill myself

The devil went down to Georgia
    Chatahoochie whatever
    and uhh,

well, Make that two.
  19. May 27, 2004 #18
    Does The Devil Went To Jamaica qualify as country music ? :biggrin:
  20. May 27, 2004 #19

Science Advisor

Driving home today I noticed that there is a little round brown splotch on the back of my right hand. I think it may be my first "liver spot" (as my mom used to call it), and that would confirm that I am getting to be what you would call "aged."

I don't suppose the quality of charm is very high on the rap generation's list of what is desirable in music, so this may not count for much with the young-uns here, but Connie Francis did a couple of very charming country albums in the early 1960s, and they are now available on one CD disc. Country from that era is substantially different than what you hear on country stations today. I personally can't get into modern country at all; it just doesn't move me.

Hypnagogue mentioned Hank Williams. If he was talking about the senior H.W., that is who I believe wrote Jambalaya which I think might be the cleverest bit of songwriting ever. That song shows up on six or eight of my CDs, with the versions by Connie Francis and by Gerry & the Pacemakers being especially good.
    Last edited: May 27, 2004
  21. May 27, 2004 #20
    I don't know what to say for you to get me right, but I don't think that "is" called "aged".
    And i also actually don't get much what you have in your mind...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?