Country Music

Char. Limit
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Why do so many people my age express such a dislike for country music? It's excellent music, in my opinion, yet I've noticed that saying I like country has at times earned me a badge of dislike.

Answers and Replies

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It's better if you play it backwards.

That way, all the broken hearts get mended etc, and everybody lives happily ever [STRIKE]after[/STRIKE] before. :smile:

Char. Limit
Gold Member
You should try "Some People Change". Excellent song by Montgomery Gentry where everything ends happily.

it just all sounds the same. country is the polka of pop music.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The reasons vary, but all types of music are disliked by someone.

turbo
Gold Member
Some country music is fine. Some is really schmaltzy pop with accents and cowboy hats. There is a whole world of crap in between good and horrible.

I grew up with only one radio station and it was country so I was forced to like it! I still listen to it though, some of it is really good, some is crap....just like any genre.

turbo
Gold Member
I grew up with only one radio station and it was country so I was forced to like it! I still listen to it though, some of it is really good, some is crap....just like any genre.
Sad! As a kid I had an AM radio so that when the sun went down I could listen to radio stations that were far away. I had Boston and Albany for pop and rock, and Buffalo for Motown. I used to ride to the top of a large hill locally with my grand-uncle so we could listen to country on Wheeling West Virginia. He was a disabled taxi-owner (the only taxi in town) and he'd buy me a Coke and buy himself a couple of Dawsons, and we'd listen to Grand Ole Oprey, Porter Wagoner, and other shows while discussing music. Nice old guy. He sold his house when I was about 7-8 years old and moved into an apartment. He gave my mother his console record-player and albums, which gave me a library of music that no other kids had. I had access to a decent player, and albums from the Ink Spots, Mills Brothers, Johnny Cash, and many others that were rarely played on AM radio. That was huge.

Duke Ellington said, "There's only two kinds of music--good and bad!" I think that that judgment applies to every genre of music; including country, rock, and classical.

Basically, if the rhythm is monotonous, the melody predictable, and the lyrics banal; then the music is bad music. This is especially true when the lyrics are sung without what jazz and blues musicians call "soul". I can't define it, but I know it when I hear it.

A lot of jazz musicians who were contemporary with Hank Williams liked his performances even though they disliked country music in general. They felt he had "soul".

turbo
Gold Member
A lot of jazz musicians who were contemporary with Hank Williams liked his performances even though they disliked country music in general. They felt he had "soul".
Hank Williams was singing white cracker blues, and was damned good at it. Elvis was another artist that was marketed as "new" when he repackaged black music and spruced it up. Who originally performed "Hound Dog"? A black woman, who performed it to a T. Who wrote "Blue Suede Shoes"? A white performer who was tapping the interest in "race music" and was upstaged by the Elvis surge. Look them up if you are interested in music. Some of these songs could never be played on traditional radio stations unless they were "sanitized" by being released by white performers on labels that did not feature black artists.

Hank Williams was singing white cracker blues, and was damned good at it. Elvis was another artist that was marketed as "new" when he repackaged black music and spruced it up. Who originally performed "Hound Dog"? A black woman, who performed it to a T. Who wrote "Blue Suede Shoes"? A white performer who was tapping the interest in "race music" and was upstaged by the Elvis surge. Look them up if you are interested in music. Some of these songs could never be played on traditional radio stations unless they were "sanitized" by being released by white performers on labels that did not feature black artists.
I have “Big Mama” Thornton doing “Hound Dog” and I also have Carl Perkins doing “Blue Suede Shoes”.

If you want to hear suggestive lyrics, the old “race” records are hard to beat. Lend an ear to Bessie Smith’s “Empty Bed Blues” or “Baby Doll”. I believe the latter of the two was recorded acoustically on a wind-up turntable--no microphone. It's still a swinging number.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
I don't like contemporary country at all. It's absolutely revolting to me.

Classic country and bluegrass are where it's at. Contemporary country is just country flavored pop music.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't like contemporary country at all. It's absolutely revolting to me.

Classic country and bluegrass are where it's at. Contemporary country is just country flavored pop music.
Totally agree! I :heart: bluegrass!

chiro
Science Advisor
I don't know if technically Eagles classifies as country but I love Midnight Flyer, yee haw!

Evo
Mentor
Pop country is awful. Bluegrass is a completely different genre.

turbo
Gold Member
Get the Allison Krause and Union Station live double-CD! Their interpretation of traditional bluegrass and their original numbers are wonderful. And they NEVER get any airplay on local country stations. All we get in Maine is schmalzy country pop. Listening to country radio around here would convince you that all country music is crap, if you had no outside references.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-wJNpWgss8
Words and music by Willie Nelson, performed by Patsy Cline. Go ahead, dislike it.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Words and music by Willie Nelson, performed by Patsy Cline. Go ahead, dislike it.
That's great, Jimmy. Here's some old stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHKvRNK6KYQ&NR=1

Evo
Mentor
My theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ5ob9B9yD4

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo
Mentor
:smile: :cry:
My doctor and I sing this together, in rounds, I sing a line, he sings a line.

My doctor and I sing this together, in rounds, I sing a line, he sings a line.
ain't nobody that can sing like me :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqFmNUz7WhY

I agree with you.This is really good music.And I think terri clark is the frist female star in this music..