Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Coup attempt in Turkey

1. Jul 15, 2016 #1

Garlic

Gold Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2016 #2

Garlic

Gold Member

Edit: Curfew has been declared officially.
    National television channels are showing the coup declaration at the moment.
    Military has taken over the country. (Or it seems so.)
    People are panicking in my neighbourhood.

4. Jul 15, 2016 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Well, I'm a big fan of Mustafa Kemal and with respect to him, it hasn't to be bad news.

5. Jul 15, 2016 #4

Garlic

Gold Member

It's not simple as that.

6. Jul 15, 2016 #5

fresh_42

Turks aren't barbarians and Turkey isn't an african third world dictatorship. I'm confident. I even am with Erdogan hoping he won't ruin the entire system although he obviously tries to.

7. Jul 15, 2016 #6

nsaspook

Science Advisor

If and this is a big IF the coup results in a secular military government instead of the current Islamic Republic that traded with ISIS for oil, murdered innocent Kurdish people with air attacks on Kurdish separatists and created a government that couldn't be called corrupt because corruption assumes some honest officials existed in the current government it might be for the best instead of a civil war.

8. Jul 15, 2016 #7
    What is the situation like now, where you are, Garlic?

9. Jul 15, 2016 #8

nsaspook

Science Advisor

10. Jul 15, 2016 #9

Garlic

Gold Member

President Erdoğan asked everyone to gather outside, to oppose the coup.
    In important Places (Like the Taksim square, in Airports, the Bosporus Bridges) people are gathering. (Not to fight someone, but to stand against the coup.)

This is no true coup. It looks like a setup-or something like that. If it had really been a true coup, there would be soldiers in every street, and a true martial law. I see some people on my street.

I don't think there is a coup danger anymore, but we are afraid if some civil war or some conflict could take place. However this is unlikely.

I'm at home.
    I have heard gunshots. But I don't think this is something serious.
    Once in a while I hear ambulance and helicopter sounds.

I live in the asian side in Istanbul, but most of the action took/takes place in the european side.

11. Jul 15, 2016 #10

Garlic

Gold Member

Uptade: Live news claim the National Assembly in Ankara (the capital city of Turkey) has been bombarded.

I just saw a live footage helicopter gunshots firing at civil people, injured people expected.

Just at the time we thought things were calming down..

Just heard a big explosion in a live broadcast.

Guess there is no sleep for me tonight.

12. Jul 15, 2016 #11
    Honestly, if there's one thing we should learn from the whole mess that's the middle east, it's that militaries undermining democracy/elections in the name of secularism just doesn't work. And that comes from someone who hates nothing more than political Islam.

13. Jul 15, 2016 #12

fresh_42

Seems it worked in Egypt and in Turkey there is (according to CNN) even a constitutional obligation for the military to guaranty secularism!
    However, these guys were apparently dabblers which makes the situation unpredictable. They surely face death penalty or a life sentence so they have nothing to lose. If Erdogan were a true statesman he would be graceful and correcting his islamic policy. But I bet he isn't and Turkey will drive even more into a russian kind of "democracy" with an insane religious touch.

14. Jul 15, 2016 #13

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It better be an attempt by a very desperate and rather inept group of people. The alternative explanation is waayy scarier.

15. Jul 15, 2016 #14
    Not sure what's your definition of 'working'. If it includes one of the biggest civilian massacres in Egyptian modern history, more than 40,000 imprisoned, hundreds of forced disappearances, protests outlawed, and an entire youth generation that completely lost hope in their country and scared to object, then you're probably right.

16. Jul 15, 2016 #15

fresh_42

Sure it is so bad? I mean Nursi did some questionable imprisonments, too.

17. Jul 15, 2016 #16

Garlic

Gold Member

A bunch of soldiers invaded the CNN Turkey news studio.

There are claims of explosions and such. Sonic booms from low attitute flying jets are powerful enough to break houses windows.

There are multiple claims of casualities. Just saw a video showing lots of corpses lying on the streets.

18. Jul 15, 2016 #17

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(emphasis mine)
    http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0YE1M3

19. Jul 15, 2016 #18
    Yes, I'm sure it is that bad.

I lived under both Morsi and Sisi. Oppression in both cases isn't even comparable. We could and did protest every single thing that Morsi did. It was expected, almost mandatory for every channel and news outlets to criticise him. Heck, I sat through many hours of air time spent on making fun of his English accent and even physical appearance. This isn't because he was benevolent. He wasn't. But he was a joke of a ruler, and he didn't control anything. Had we had a second election it was very likely his party would have lost miserably, and it could've been the end of political Islam in the birthplace of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Under Sisi, on the other hand, no one is allowed to object to anything. All prominent political figures and activists, who were very active under Morsi such as Wael Ghoneim, Bassem Youssef, etc. , had to flee the country. I know teenagers in prison for holding a sign saying 'No to torture'. There have been people arrested for objecting to the government decision to secede two islands to Saudi Arabia.

So yes, I know it is that bad.

I apologise to everyone for derailing the topic. This is about Turkey. I will stop discussing Egypt from now on.

20. Jul 15, 2016 #19

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

21. Jul 15, 2016 #20

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This feeble coup attempt will likely feed anti-western and anti-american paranoia in Turkey. Erdogan appears as a defender of democracy. Allegations that he does not have the credentials to qualify for presidency have already disappeared from the media, I am sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted