Coupla Questions: Universe Strings & Particles

• Thread starter gbarnett
  • Start date
In summary: The state of a string producing an electron differs from one producing a positron in that the electron string has more energy.
gbarnett
1) Would the density of strings be constant throughout the universe,
would they exist in a vacuum like the aether?
2) Suppose I walk down the street. Do I carry the strings that make the particles of my body with me, or do strings along the way just vibrate to generate (new) identical particles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by gbarnett
2) Suppose I walk down the street. Do I carry the strings that make the particles of my body with me, or do strings along the way just vibrate to generate (new) identical particles.

This appears to be a misconception. The strings replace the role of point particles in the Standard Model. You are made up of constantly vibrating strings, which behave (for the most part) just as point particles are supposed to. So, to speak of "me moving" is to speak of every particle (string), that helps compose your body, moving.

misconception should be no surprise

with this stuff. So the stuff I am made of is conjured by oscillating strings which I carry along with me (or they carry me along with them, whatever). I shine a light out into space and the energy which is light sends photons out into the void. The photons are also enerated by string oscillations, so strings are projected out from the beam?
Am I being too mechanical about this?

You're right. Some of the strings whose vibrations act like electrons in the flashlight break, and the new little bits of string that broke off vibrate to act like photons, and those strings fly off away from the flashlight, just as you would expect photons to do.

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
You're right. Some of the strings whose vibrations act like electrons in the flashlight break, and the new little bits of string that broke off vibrate to act like photons, and those strings fly off away from the flashlight, just as you would expect photons to do.

Nice way to give a non-technical explanation, Ambitwistor. Kudos. :smile:

How about

The first paragraph of a technical answer?

Originally posted by gbarnett
The first paragraph of a technical answer?

Well...

In quantum electrodynamics, you can write down the lowest-order Feynman diagram for the process of photon emission. It's a trivalent vertex, with one electron worldline coming in, and an electron and a photon worldline coming out. Slicing the diagram gives one or two points (depending on if you slice it before or after the emission), representing the particles at that instant of time. String theory's description of string emission is very similar: replace the points (particles) with line segments (strings). Over time, the string will sweep out a worldsheet (instead of a worldline for a particle), which branches into two worldsheets, one for the electron string and one for the photon string. If you look at time slices, you can see one string splitting into two, with the pieces traveling apart. That is where the original "electron string" breaks, leaving two strings: one is an "electron string" and another is a "photon string". One difference between this scenario and the QED scenario, other than the dimensionality, is that the photon is a fundamentally different particle from the electron, but in the string scenario, the resulting two strings are just pieces of the original string.

Thanks, I could foller that

It wern't too bad.

boy, I don't think I know enough

to respond to that, but speaking of "annihilating" how would the state of a string producing an electron differ from one producing a positron?

1. What is the significance of studying universe strings and particles?

Studying universe strings and particles allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe and how they interact with each other. This knowledge can help us develop theories and models to explain the workings of the universe and potentially lead to advancements in technology.

2. What are universe strings?

Universe strings are hypothetical one-dimensional objects that are believed to be the smallest building blocks of the universe. They are thought to be incredibly tiny, measuring less than 10^-33 centimeters, and vibrate at different frequencies, giving rise to the different particles and forces in the universe.

3. How do universe strings and particles relate to each other?

Universe strings are believed to be the source of all particles in the universe. Different vibrations of the strings give rise to different types of particles, such as quarks, electrons, and photons. These particles then interact with each other to create the world we see around us.

4. What is the role of particles in the universe?

Particles play a crucial role in the functioning of the universe. They make up all matter and energy and interact with each other through the four fundamental forces (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear). These interactions govern the behavior of particles and ultimately shape the structure of the universe.

5. What is the current state of research on universe strings and particles?

Research on universe strings and particles is an active and ongoing area of study. While there is still much to be understood, scientists have made significant progress in developing theories and mathematical models to explain the behavior and interactions of these fundamental components of the universe.