1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Couple mechanics problems

1. May 12, 2005 #1
    Hi, I have a couple general (pretty much abstract) mechanics questions, and I'm not sure I'm going the right way about doing them. Any help would be appreciated.

1)On a flat surface with friction, you have a massless spring with a spring constant (k) attached to a wall on one end, and on the other end to a solid cylinder of radius R, which can roll back and forth, due to oscillation. How can you find the time for one period/oscillation?

Ok, so the total mechanical energy is the sum of the kinetic (translational and rotational) and potential energies:
    E = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]m[tex]v^2[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]I[tex]\omega^2[/tex]+ [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]k[tex]x^2[/tex]

I don't know whether to consider this SHM...how would I go about doing this?

2) You have a dam with a certain height of water against it. The pressure of the water can be given as a function of the height of the water p(h). What is the total force acting on the dam?

I'm thinking you just integrate the pressure function from 0 to the height?

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As long as you are rolling without slipping, [itex]\omega[/itex] is proportional to v. Combine the first two terms to get something that looks like [itex]\frac{1}{2}Mv^2[/itex]
    where M is a constant that is made up of the mass and moment of inertia. You should be able to take it from there.

You have the right idea about the dam

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?