1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Couple of Dynamic Questions

1. Jan 12, 2005 #1
    Boredom...

I'm just plain stupid... (Don't know which equations to use...)

If a 256 kg spacecraft weights 436 newtons when it is on the moon, what is the gravitational field strength (in N/kg) there?

To slide a 9.0 kg object at constant speed along the ground requires a force of 14.3 N. What is the coefficient of friction?

You are pulling a 50 kg mass over a rough surface of friction coefficient µ = 0.15 and you are pulling the mass using a spring of force constant = 200 N/m. How much would the spring stretch?

How much does a 55 kg girl compress the spring in a pogo stick when she stands on it? You are given that the spring constant is 78 N/cm.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2005 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

You should post any ideas you have. I'm sure you've studied *some* equations, otherwise you wouldn't need to be doing these.

4. Jan 12, 2005 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

So what you're saying is that you're expected to solve all these questions without having ANY knowledge of the first thing about dynamics ? Because that's the impression you're trying to sell.

It's weak, dude. Unless you show that you've taken some effort, you'll get no help here.

5. Jan 12, 2005 #4
    If a 256 kg spacecraft weights 436 newtons when it is on the moon, what is the gravitational field strength (in N/kg) there?

I would divide 436 N by 256 Kg = 1.703 N/Kg, unless you need to include the gravity for the moon.

To slide a 9.0 kg object at constant speed along the ground requires a force of 14.3 N. What is the coefficient of friction?

I would start off with µ = Fn/Ff
    Fn = 9.0 * 9.8 = 88.2
    Ff = 14.3 N

Then solve the equation as, µ = 88.2/14.3 = 6.17

As far for now...

[tex] \mu = \frac {FN} {Ff}[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  6. Jan 12, 2005 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

This answer and method is correct. You don't need to do anything more.

Your equation for [itex]\mu[/itex] is the wrong way around. Try solving it again, it should be less than one.

Use the same principles as in the previous question to find the kinetic frictional force resisting motion. Use Hooke's law [itex]F = kx[/itex] where k is given in the problem to determine [itex]x[/itex], the extension.

What is the weight of the girl in Newton ? Use Hooke's law again.

7. Jan 12, 2005 #6

Yes I got it now, µ = Fn/Ff
    µ = 14.3/88.2 = 0.16
    (Thanks for telling me that the coefficient has to be less than 1)

You are pulling a 50 kg mass over a rough surface of friction coefficient µ = 0.15 and you are pulling the mass using a spring of force constant = 200 N/m. How much would the spring stretch?

Ff = µFn
    Ff = (0.15)(490)
    Ff = 73.5

F = kx
    x = F/k
    x = 73.5/200
    x = 0.3675 m, 36.75 cm

How much does a 55 kg girl compress the spring in a pogo stick when she stands on it? You are given that the spring constant is 78 N/cm.

55 kg girl = 539 N
    F = kx
    x = F/k
    x = 539/78
    x = 6.91 cm

8. Jan 12, 2005 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Yup, they all look right. :smile:

9. Jan 13, 2005 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You did the calculation correctly but the formula is μ= Ff/Fn.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?