1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Couple of hard physics questions

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. How can something travel faster than light?

2. You have two identical bars of iron – except that one is a magnet. Without using any piece of apparatus, or any other object, how can you find out which is which?

Hope you can help

Thankyou :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2
    As to your first question http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/FTL.html" [Broken] this explains many ways you can.

question 2 ) good luck! :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 30, 2009 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What do you think? Show what you've done so far.

5. Sep 30, 2009 #4
    Not a clue for question 2. Been thinking for 3 weeks on this (3 week homework) and still have no idea. Of course i have ideas with using appratus but i don't have a clue without appratus.

with question 1 cdubsean gave me that nice website that i need to look at in detail. But yet again i just have no clue what its all about.

Theses questions came from a set of 10. told they were A level. managed to work out most of them but just cant seem to swing my head around theses ones

6. Oct 2, 2009 #5

Doc Al

If you had a bar of unmagnetized iron and a identical looking bar magnet, what could you do with them? Be creative!

7. Oct 2, 2009 #6
    hey doc al saw what you wrote on my other topic.... giving me the answer is completly useless. ofcourse.

This is a 3 - 4 weeks homework with about 20 questions on it, ive done all but 1... this one ofc. Been thinking about it the second i got the paper. iv put plenty of thought into it.

Unfortanlly i don't have a clue on hte question, just starting AS physics and the cretivness needed and the understanding given in my 12 lesson is not at the right level at the moment.

Maybe you can give me a clue to get me starting thinking on the correct lines.

8. Oct 2, 2009 #7

Doc Al

Hint: Where is the magnetic field of a bar magnet greatest?

9. Oct 2, 2009 #8
    The magnets are strongest on both sides (poles) what im thinking of is there is no magnetic feild in the middle of theses 2 poles. Calling magets 1 and 2 i would try the center of bar 1 against the end of bar 2. then see if there is a force. lets say there is a force in this one so bar 2 would be the magnet. If we used the end of bar 1 on the center of bar 2 we would expect to see no force and therefor the poles on bar 1 are not magnetic.

Just an idea.... correct? on the right lines? or miles off?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook