1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Couple of problems

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At a time 0.22 seconds after it has been hit by a tennis racket, a tennis ball is located at (6, 8, 0)  m, relative to an origin in one corner of a tennis court. At a time 0.26 seconds after being hit, the ball is located at (6.52, 8.16, 5.88)  m. Calculate the following results, and include correct units:

(b) What is the average speed of the tennis ball?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I had to calculate the average velocity. I got (13, 4, -3) m/s and I have the unit vector (.934, .287, -.215). i know that vavg = deltad/deltat. The problem is that the speed is a scalar and that confuses me.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Speed = Distance/Time.

You are given the time. Calculate the distance between the two points.

4. Sep 8, 2013 #3
    Given such a short time interval we can safely approximate the path of the ball to straight line by ignoring the effect of gravity. For a particle moving in a straight line which doesn't change its direction of motion the magnitude of the average velocity vector gives the average speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted