1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Couple questions

1. Oct 5, 2004 #1
    I kinda have a question and an answer check... well heres my check.

Let f(x) = x^2 + x. For any readl number a, let Ty be the y-intrecept of the tangent line to f(a), let Nx and Ny be, respectivly, the x-intercept and y-intercepts of the normal line to f(a). SHow that a = 0 is the only value for which the area of the triangle (0,Ny),(0,0),(Nx,0) is equal to the area of triangle (0,Ty),(0,0),(Nx,0).

to attack this problem i decided since the triangles both have side (0,0),(Nx,0) in common i could just find the equations of the tangent and normal line, find the intercepts of the tangent and normal and then set them equal in magnitude. i ended up with a^2 = a/(2a +1) + a^2 + a
    when i solve i get x = 0, x=-1
    it seems to work out when i plot the graphs for x = -1...
    but in my question it says show that a = 0 is the only possible value, am i drawing it wrong or is my prof missing something? ty

question #2...

this should be an easy question...

f(x) = x/|x| at x = 0;

the derivative do not exist, explain why. There is a skip ?

Can the definitions be modified(slightly) so that the derviative does exist at this point, if so calc the derivative. if no explain why. i need help on this question :|

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Question 2:
    Draw the function on a piece of paper, and you'll see.

4. Oct 5, 2004 #3
    If anyone can help im in major need :|

5. Oct 6, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A function has to be continuous before it can be differentiable!

6. Oct 6, 2004 #5
    yah felt kinda silly by asking for help on #2, well for anyone who was wondering...for #1 my prof was wrong. He said he made a mistake after i confronted him about the two values.. Oh well sounds good. ty everyone that helped

7. Oct 6, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Isn't it great when showing your prof. that he also makes mistakes..:wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?