Mesh Equations and Polarity in Coupled Circuits

In summary: But because L2 is connected in series with V2, the voltage across L2 is also positive, so current flows into the dot on L2 and out the other side, completing the circuit.
ranju

Homework Statement

In the given attachment (supply has voltage v(t) , ) we have to write mesh equations .I am not getting how to decide the polarity of voltage across inductor ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There's nothing much to do.. The only thing I am doubtful about is the polarity.

Attachments

• IMG_20141001_184550.jpg
    IMG_20141001_184550.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 461
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're writing mesh equations so you have assumed the directions of loop currents. Use those directions along with the dot notation convention to determine the polarities of the voltages induced via mutual inductance.

Is the convention like this ?? : If a current enters (leaves) the dotted terminal of one coil, the reference polarity of the mutual voltage in the second coil is positive (negative) at the dotted terminal of the second coil.

ranju said:
Is the convention like this ?? : If a current enters (leaves) the dotted terminal of one coil, the reference polarity of the mutual voltage in the second coil is positive (negative) at the dotted terminal of the second coil.
Yes, that's it.

So how we will proceed.. I mean.. we should just consider one coil as the reference i.e. as current in L1 is leaving the coil then the polarity of voltages of L2 & L3 will be negative at the dotted terminal..?? then with which coil reference we will decide polarity of L1..??

ranju said:
So how we will proceed.. I mean.. we should just consider one coil as the reference i.e. as current in L1 is leaving the coil then the polarity of voltages of L2 & L3 will be negative at the dotted terminal..?? then with which coil reference we will decide polarity of L1..??
You don't have to decide the overall polarity of net potentials beforehand; let the math take care of sorting that out for you. It's like mesh currents, you make an assumption about directions and then do the math. Some will turn out positive and others negative, the math sorting it out.

For mutual inductors you may find it handy to insert a voltage source in series with each inductor. Orient them so that they would produce a current out the dot on their inductor. These sources are placeholders for where you'll gather together the induced voltages from the other inductors. So you'll see that the original inductors remain in the circuit and are treated as typical isolated components and the new voltage sources take on the coupling effects.

Fig1.gif

Now you can write mesh (or nodal) equations using these components easily enough. To work out the "value" of a given voltage source, look at the currents flowing through the other coupled inductors. If a current flows into a dot then add a positive term to the voltage for that inductor. If the current flows out of the dot then add a negative term. The terms are composed of the mutual inductance between the two inductors in question multiplied by the time derivative of the current in question (or if you're using the Laplace notation,##sM_{mn} I_n##, with the "s" operator implying the derivative).

For a concrete example, suppose the mutual inductances between the inductors in your circuit are ##M_{12},M_{23}, M_{13}##. For V3 you need to consider terms due to the currents flowing through ##L_1## and ##L_2##. In the figure, ##i_1## is flowing into the dot on ##L_1## so it's contributing term will be positive: ##+s M_{13} i_1##. On the other hand, ##i_2## flows out of the dot on ##L_2##, so it contributes a negative term: ##-s M_{23} i_2##. Thus:
$$V_3 = sM_{13} i_1 - sM_{23} i_2$$
Do the same for the other sources. Take note that the current flowing through ##L_3## is ##i_1 - i_2##, so the terms contributed to ##V_1## and ##V_2## have that as their current!

gneill said:
Orient them so that they would produce a current out the dot on their inductor.
but according to the polarity of voltage sources it seems as is current is entering the dot.!

ranju said:
but according to the polarity of voltage sources it seems as is current is entering the dot.!
I'm not sure why you'd say that. Take a look at, say, V2 paired with L2:

Fig2.gif

V2's potential would like to drive current in the direction through L2 and out of its dot.

1. What is a mesh equation in coupled circuits?

A mesh equation is an equation that represents the relationship between the currents and voltages in a specific loop or mesh in a coupled circuit. It is used to analyze and solve for the unknown currents or voltages in the circuit.

2. How do you determine the polarity of a voltage source in a coupled circuit?

The polarity of a voltage source in a coupled circuit can be determined by the direction of the current flow in the circuit. If the current is entering the positive terminal of the voltage source, the polarity is positive, and if the current is leaving the positive terminal, the polarity is negative.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel coupling in circuits?

In series coupling, the coupled circuits share a common current and have a common inductance, while in parallel coupling, the coupled circuits share a common voltage and have a common capacitance. Series coupling is used when the circuits have a common inductive element, while parallel coupling is used when the circuits have a common capacitive element.

4. How do you solve for mesh currents in a coupled circuit using Kirchhoff's voltage law?

To solve for mesh currents in a coupled circuit using Kirchhoff's voltage law, you need to write down the mesh equations for each loop in the circuit. Then, using Kirchhoff's voltage law, set the sum of the voltage drops in each loop equal to the total voltage source in that loop. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to find the mesh currents.

5. What are the applications of mesh equations and polarity in coupled circuits?

Mesh equations and polarity in coupled circuits are used in the analysis and design of electronic circuits. They are particularly useful in understanding the behavior and interactions of coupled circuits, and in predicting and troubleshooting circuit performance. They are also used in various engineering fields, such as telecommunications, power systems, and control systems.