How Do You Calculate Torque in a Gearbox-Flywheel System?

In summary, the problem involves a gearbox coupled to a flywheel. The gearbox is 92% efficient and the output shaft rotates at 5 times the speed of the input. The flywheel has a mass of 50kg and a radius of 0.75m. It needs to accelerate from 0 to 300 rpm in 60 seconds. Using the given equations, the output torque is calculated to be 7.363 Nm. The input torque is calculated to be 39.761 Nm, taking into account the gearbox efficiency. The holding torque is yet to be calculated, but it follows the equation Ti + Th + To = 0, taking into account the gearbox efficiency.
LDC1972

Homework Statement

Gearbox coupled to a flywheel. The gearbox I 92% efficient and the output shaft rotates at 5 x the speed of the input.
Flywheel mass is 50kg, 0.75 m radius and is to accelerate from 0 to 300 rpm in 60 seconds.

Calculate Input torque and holding torque (value and direction)

Homework Equations

rpm x 2∏ / 60 = 31.41592654 rad s
angular acceleration = w2 - w1 / time = w2 / time = 31.41592654 / 60
angular acceleration = 0.5235987756 rad s
I = mk^2 = 0.5mr^2
r = 0.75m
m = 50kg
Moment of inertia (I) ∴ = 0.5 x 50 x .75^2 = 14.0625

The Attempt at a Solution

Torque applied to the flywheel to accelerate = Ta = I x angular acceleration
Ta = 14.0625 x 0.5235987756 = To = 7.363 Nm which is output torque

Ti will be 5 x To as gearbox is stepping up 5 x, so:
Ti = 5 x To = 36.816 Nm

However gearbox is 92% efficient, so add 8% to Ti = 39.761 Nm

I haven't begun the hold down torque yet, but know Ti + Th + To = 0, so this shouldn't be too hard... Although should I include the 92% efficiency, so ToWo + 0.92TiWi = 0?

Thanks everyone, I know it takes time to help people and I really do appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I would like to provide some feedback and suggestions for your solution.

Firstly, your calculation for the output torque (To) is correct. However, I would suggest using the units of rad/s^2 for angular acceleration instead of rad/s, as it is a measure of change in angular velocity over time. This will not change the final answer, but it is important to use the correct units in scientific calculations.

Next, your calculation for the input torque (Ti) is also correct. However, I would suggest not adding 8% to Ti to account for the gearbox efficiency. Instead, you should use the equation Ti = To/Wo, where Wo is the angular velocity of the output shaft. This will give you the correct input torque without having to account for the efficiency separately.

For the holding torque (Th), you are correct in using the equation Ti + Th + To = 0. However, you should also include the gearbox efficiency in this equation, as it will affect the input and output torques. The correct equation would be ToWo + 0.92TiWi + ThWh = 0.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!
Scientist

1. What is a coupled gearbox flywheel?

A coupled gearbox flywheel is a mechanical device that is used to transfer power between a gearbox and a flywheel. The gearbox is responsible for changing the speed and torque of the power source, while the flywheel helps to store and release energy to maintain a smooth and consistent output.

2. How does a coupled gearbox flywheel work?

A coupled gearbox flywheel uses a system of gears to connect the input from the power source, usually an engine, to the output of the flywheel. As the power source turns the input shaft, the gears inside the gearbox rotate and turn the output shaft, which in turn rotates the flywheel. The flywheel helps to maintain a constant speed and provides a smooth output by storing and releasing energy as needed.

3. What are the benefits of using a coupled gearbox flywheel?

There are several benefits to using a coupled gearbox flywheel. These include maintaining a consistent output speed and torque, reducing vibrations and noise, and providing backup power in case of engine failure. The flywheel can also help to improve fuel efficiency and reduce wear and tear on the gearbox by providing a buffer between the power source and the output.

4. What are some common applications of coupled gearbox flywheels?

Coupled gearbox flywheels are commonly used in vehicles such as cars, trucks, and motorcycles to transfer power from the engine to the wheels. They are also used in industrial machinery, such as pumps and generators, to maintain a consistent output. Additionally, coupled gearbox flywheels are used in renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines, to store and release energy as needed.

5. How do I choose the right coupled gearbox flywheel for my application?

Choosing the right coupled gearbox flywheel depends on several factors, including the power and torque requirements of your application, the speed at which the output needs to be maintained, and the space and weight limitations. It is important to consult with a professional or do thorough research to ensure that you select the most suitable flywheel for your specific needs.