1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coupled Harmonic Oscillator

1. May 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the energy levels and the wave functions of two harmonic oscillators of mass [tex]m_1[/tex]and [tex]m_2[/tex],
    having identical frequencies [tex]\omega[/tex], and coupled by the interaction [tex]\frac{1}{2}k(x_{1}^{2}-x_{2}^{2})^2[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Schrodinger equation.

3. The attempt at a solution

My first question is, if the interaction term as it is given makes sense, as it is not of the characteristic of energy/ potential (unit is different!). Therefore i cannot see how to put it into the hamiltonian.
    If i just take the interaction terms as it is and add it to the sum of two harmonic oscillators, the term gets long and i can not decouple this hamiltonian

Please give me any hint on this problems. Thank you very much in advance!
    Last edited: May 3, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2007 #2
    No one can help ? :)

Now I got that from Prof. that it was given wrong, it must bu (x1-x2)^2 in the interaction term, but if it is like above given interaction term, is it right? I mean is such an interaction term possible?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?