1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coupled ODEs - Applied to EM

1. Jul 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the equations of motion ##\ddot{y}= \omega \dot{z}## and ##\ddot{z}= \omega (\frac{E}{B}-\dot{y})##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Integrate the first equation to get ##\dot{y}=\omega z + c_1## and plug into equation 2: ##\ddot{z}=\omega (\frac{E}{B}-\omega z + c_1## simplify ##\ddot{z}= \omega \frac{E}{B} - \omega ^2 z + \omega c_1## and integrating again leaves ##\dot{z}= \omega \frac{E}{B}t - \omega ^2 zt + c_1 t +c_2##

The next step is where everything seems to go off the rails. second integration of ##\dot{y}## gives ##\omega z t + c_1 t + c_3 = y(t)## and the second integral of ##\dot{z}## gives ##\omega \frac{E}{B}t-\omega ^2 z t + \omega c_1 t + \omega c_4##

The solution the worked example gives are $$ y(t) = c_1 cos(\omega t) + c_2 sin(\omega t) + (E/Bt + c_3$$ and $$z(t) = c_2 cos(\omega t) - c_1 sin(\omega t) + c_4$$

Where did the trig functions come from?!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

You started off right. ##\dot{y} = \omega z + c_1## so ##\ddot{z} + \omega^{2} z - \omega(\frac{E}{B} + c_{1}) = 0##. The next step is where you messed up (you forgot that ##z = z(t)##). This is the equation for a driven oscillator. What's the solution for such an equation?

4. Aug 1, 2013 #3
    Alright, so after doing some more reading, I'm still stuck.

The general solution for a dampened oscillator of the form ##\ddot{z}+2 \beta \dot{x} + \omega ^2 x = f(t)## is ##Ae^{- \beta t}(C_1 e ^{\sqrt{ \beta ^2 - \omega ^2}}+C_2 e ^{-\sqrt{ \beta ^2 - \omega ^2}})##. If I understood correctly, the solution for a driven oscillator will be this expression PLUS the "particular" solution.

In this case we have ##\ddot{z}-\omega ^2 z = \omega (E/B) + C_1 \omega## the solution, if this were a non-driven system, would be ##C_1 cos( \omega t) - C_2 sin(\omega t)##, but I know there needs to be a constant added here, I just don't know where it came from.

Yeah, still confused by the extra force term. There is no damping force, only the natural frequency plus the driving force.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  5. Aug 1, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the driving force is constant you can find the particular solution by setting ##\ddot{z}=0##.

ehild

6. Aug 1, 2013 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are some typos in your post. I correct them.
    For a particular solution, see the attachment in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=641578, #17

ehild

7. Aug 1, 2013 #6
    Why would I set ##\ddot{z} = 0##? And even if I did, that gives ##\omega ^2 z = \omega (E/B) + C_1 \omega \rightarrow E/(\omega B) + C_1 / \omega ##

8. Aug 1, 2013 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That means z=const is a particular solution with the constant E/(ωB)+C1/ω. Check.

The general solution of the equation ##\ddot{z}-\omega ^2 z = \omega (E/B) + C_1 \omega## is

##z=C_2\cos(ωt)+C_3\sin(ωt)+\frac{E}{ωB}+\frac{C_1}{ω}##

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted