Coupled Oscillations: Understanding the Equations

In summary, the equations of motion for the given system are Ma1 = 2kx1+kx2, Ma2 = -2kx2+kx1+kx3, and Mx3 = -2x3 +kx2. These equations can be generalized for any system with N masses by using the equation M \ddot{x}_j = k x_{j+1} + k x_{j-1} - 2 k x_{j}. For the endpoint masses, the equations depend on the boundary conditions.
Lagrange53110

Homework Statement

[URL]http://imgur.com/2KIhk[/URL]

Hi!

If you please look at the image. I have already determined the equations of motion.
They are as follows:

Ma1 = 2kx1+kx2
Ma2 = -2kx2+kx1+kx3
Mx3 = -2x3 +kx2

Now... what I don't understand is how does this physically happen?

If you look at say mass m1. Then when the spring is oscillating it pulls the mass to the left
on the left side of m1 which is I suppose: -kx1 and the spring on the right is also doing that at x1 so then also -kx1 and then when it oscillates further at x2 the right spring goes +kx2 which gives us: ma1 = -2kx1+kx2.

I just want to is this the correct analysis for determining the equations?
I'm just stomped and wish I knew a perfect 100% method on finding these equations.
I just "know" they're right... I just don't know why... sadly

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lagrange53110 said:

Homework Statement

[URL]http://imgur.com/2KIhk[/URL]

Hi!

If you please look at the image. I have already determined the equations of motion.
They are as follows:

Ma1 = 2kx1+kx2
Ma2 = -2kx2+kx1+kx3
Mx3 = -2x3 +kx2

Now... what I don't understand is how does this physically happen?

If you look at say mass m1. Then when the spring is oscillating it pulls the mass to the left
on the left side of m1 which is I suppose: -kx1 and the spring on the right is also doing that at x1 so then also -kx1 and then when it oscillates further at x2 the right spring goes +kx2 which gives us: ma1 = -2kx1+kx2.

I just want to is this the correct analysis for determining the equations?
I'm just stomped and wish I knew a perfect 100% method on finding these equations.
I just "know" they're right... I just don't know why... sadly

Can't see your picture, but I think you have a sign error. It probably should be:
[itex]M \ddot{x}_1 = - 2 k x_1 + k x_2 = k(x_2 - x_1) - k x_1[/itex]
[itex]M \ddot{x}_2 = - 2 k x_2 + k x_1 + k x_3 = k(x_3 - x2) + k(x_1 - x_2)[/itex]
[itex]M \ddot{x}_3 = - 2 k x_3 + k x_2 = k (x_2 - x_3) - k x_3[/itex]

In general, if you have N mass, the equation of motion on the j-th one (if j is not the first or last one) that's connected to two neighbors is:

[itex]M \ddot{x}_j = k x_{j+1} + k x_{j-1} - 2 k x_{j}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
mathfeel said:
Can't see your picture, but I think you have a sign error. It probably should be:
[itex]M \ddot{x}_1 = - 2 k x_1 + k x_2 = k(x_2 - x_1) - k x_1[/itex]
[itex]M \ddot{x}_2 = - 2 k x_2 + k x_1 + k x_3 = k(x_3 - x2) + k(x_1 - x_2)[/itex]
[itex]M \ddot{x}_3 = - 2 k x_3 + k x_2 = k (x_2 - x_3) - k x_3[/itex]

In general, if you have N mass, the equation of motion on the j-th one (if j is not the first or last one) that's connected to two neighbors is:

[itex]M \ddot{x}_j = k x_{j+1} + k x_{j-1} - 2 k x_{j}[/itex]

Okay that makes sense! That is the same conclusion I came up with the 3 masses scenario. Because the two xvalues to the left and the right cause positive "tugs" if you will.
What is the equation in general for the endpoint masses.

Would be in your case -2x(j) +2x(j+1)? for the left? and -2x(j)+2x(j-1)?

Lagrange53110 said:
Okay that makes sense! That is the same conclusion I came up with the 3 masses scenario. Because the two xvalues to the left and the right cause positive "tugs" if you will.
What is the equation in general for the endpoint masses.

Would be in your case -2x(j) +2x(j+1)? for the left? and -2x(j)+2x(j-1)?

For the end point, it depends on boundary condition. Since I can't see your picture, I am going to assume the j=1 and j=N mass is connected to fix wall by a spring, then

[itex] m \ddot{x}_1 = k (x_2 - x_1) - k x_1 = k x_2 - 2 k x_1[/itex]
[itex] m \ddot{x}_N = k (x_{N-1} - x_{N}) - k x_{N} = k x_{N-1} - 2 k x_{N}[/itex]

mathfeel said:
For the end point, it depends on boundary condition. Since I can't see your picture, I am going to assume the j=1 and j=N mass is connected to fix wall by a spring, then

[itex] m \ddot{x}_1 = k (x_2 - x_1) - k x_1 = k x_2 - 2 k x_1[/itex]
[itex] m \ddot{x}_N = k (x_{N-1} - x_{N}) - k x_{N} = k x_{N-1} - 2 k x_{N}[/itex]

but why?

I am confused how these equations are derived.

I have derived the middle mass equation.

But I am unsure about some conventions I have used...

please can you show me... what happens physically?

1. What is the concept of coupled oscillations?

Coupled oscillations refer to the phenomenon where two or more oscillating systems are connected and influence each other's motion. This can result in synchronized or anti-synchronized motion between the systems.

2. How do coupled oscillations occur?

Coupled oscillations can occur through physical connections, such as springs or pendulums, or through non-physical connections, such as electromagnetic fields or sound waves.

3. What is the difference between in-phase and out-of-phase coupled oscillations?

In-phase coupled oscillations occur when the two systems are moving in the same direction at the same time, while out-of-phase coupled oscillations occur when the two systems are moving in opposite directions at the same time.

4. What are some real-life examples of coupled oscillations?

Some examples of coupled oscillations in everyday life include swing sets, pendulum clocks, and tuning forks. In nature, examples include the synchronized flashing of fireflies and the coordinated swimming of schools of fish.

5. What are some applications of coupled oscillations in science and engineering?

Coupled oscillations have various applications, including in the fields of optics, electronics, and mechanics. They are also used in designing structures to withstand earthquakes, improving the efficiency of energy transfer in systems, and creating synchronized motion in robotics and machinery.