Coupled Oscillations - Solving for Eigenvectors & Solutions

In summary: So by finding the eigenvectors of a two mass system, you can find the solution for the system without having to solve for the positions of the individual masses. This is useful for systems with a high number of masses and springs.
Oerg
I have a burning question,

I was trying to find the solutions for a double mass coupled oscillation. So I found out the eigenvectors and then I arrived at this step

[tex] \left( \begin{array}{c} \ddot{x_1} \\ \ddot{x_2} \end{array} \right)=\lambda \left( \begin{array}{c} x_1 \\ \ x_2 \end{array} \right) [/tex]
(the second matrix is without the accents, I think the latex code will take a while to refresh)

ok so my question is, why is one of the solutions displayed as

[tex] x_{1}+x_{2}=A_{1}\cos{(\omega t+\phi)} [/tex]

when from the first equation, it is evident that

[tex] \ddot{x_1}=\lambda{x_1} [/tex]

so

[tex] x_1=A_1\cos{(\omega t+\phi)} [/tex]

I simply don't understand why the above is not acceptable. Also, I am having trouble in relating the addition of the equations (equation 2) to the solution for the eigenvectors. By the way, I also know the solution for the eigenvectors.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't X_1 + X_2 a mode coordinate?

The 2 mode coordinates being the sum and difference of X_1 and X_2. They are ways of looking at the motion of the system as a whole, not X_1 and X_2 individually.

thank you for your reply,

isn't the matrix constructed from x_1 and x_2 individually?

I also do not understand what is a mode coordinate, could you explain this to me if this is important?

Oerg said:
I was trying to find the solutions for a double mass coupled oscillation.

I simply don't understand why the above is not acceptable.

Hi Oerg! :wink:

It is acceptable, but it's not as simple nor as conceptually deep as using normal modes such as x1 ± x2

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupled_oscillation#Coupled_oscillations
The apparent motions of the individual oscillations typically appears very complicated but a more economic, computationally simpler and conceptually deeper description is given by resolving the motion into normal modes.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mode :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Oerg! :wink:

It is acceptable, but it's not as simple nor as conceptually deep as using normal modes such as x1 ± x2

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupled_oscillation#Coupled_oscillations …See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mode :smile:

thanks for your reply too

there was another solution that is

[tex] x_{1}+x_{2}=A_{2}\cos{(\omega t+\phi _{1})} [/tex]

and then with the first equation in the original post, x1 and x2 is then given as

[tex] x_1=\frac{1}{2}(A_{1}\cos{(\omega _{0}t-\phi)} +A_{2}\cos{(\sqrt{3}\omega _{0}t-\phi _{1})}) [/tex]

by the way,

[tex] \lambda =1[/tex]

and

[tex] \lambda =3[/tex]

are the eigenvalues for the problem. So there seems to be a discrepancy for the equations for x_1 and x_2.Where have I gone wrong :confused:

help I am drowning arghhhhhhh

Oerg said:
So there seems to be a discrepancy for the equations for x_1 and x_2.Where have I gone wrong :confused:

i don't follow :confused:

what discrepancy are you referring to?

why is the last equation from my last post different from the correct solution to the de?

Also, how do I obtain the correct solutions from the eigenvector

I think i understand a little now, the eigenvalues that I found was when all the masses displayed the same frequency of oscillation.

But how do I prove that the equations for the positions of the masses are a superposition of normal modes with the eigenvectors?

Oerg said:
I think i understand a little now, the eigenvalues that I found was when all the masses displayed the same frequency of oscillation.

But how do I prove that the equations for the positions of the masses are a superposition of normal modes with the eigenvectors?

Hi Oerg! :smile:

Stop using all these technical words

x1 + x2 = A cosBt, x1 - x2 = C cosDt,

obviously x1 = (AcosBt + CcosDt)/2 … that's year-1 arithmetic! :wink:

We solve it that way round because you only have to look at the formula for x1 on its own to see that it's much more difficult to solve than x1 + x2 :smile:

but there's no magic of "superposition" or "normal modes" to understand

tiny-tim said:
Hi Oerg! :smile:

Stop using all these technical words

x1 + x2 = A cosBt, x1 - x2 = C cosDt,

obviously x1 = (AcosBt + CcosDt)/2 … that's year-1 arithmetic! :wink:

We solve it that way round because you only have to look at the formula for x1 on its own to see that it's much more difficult to solve than x1 + x2 :smile:

but there's no magic of "superposition" or "normal modes" to understand

thanks for your reply

hmm, i know about the equations "x1 + x2 = A cosBt, x1 - x2 = C cosDt" for a two mass system, it is just the addition and subtraction and then the acceleration and the position are common terms.

But what about a system with a higher number of masses and springs? How do i know
x?+x?+x?+..=Acoswt+phi

So I was trying to see how by finding out the eigenvectors for a two mass system for simplicity, that x1+x2=Acoswt+phi. I am still at a loss though.

Oerg said:
But what about a system with a higher number of masses and springs? How do i know
x?+x?+x?+..=Acoswt+phi

So I was trying to see how by finding out the eigenvectors for a two mass system for simplicity, that x1+x2=Acoswt+phi. I am still at a loss though.

i'm confused :confused: … i think you're answering your own question …

every matrix has eigenvectors, and each eigenvector is a combination of "basis" vectors, and by definition of eigenvector that combination is going to satisfy the shm equation ∑'' = -w2∑, so ∑ = Acoswt+phi :smile:

so we have a Ax=b and b can be expressed as a linear combination of the eigenvalues multiplied by the respective eigenvectors? This is because eigenvectors are orthogonal. so in this spirit we have the solutions for a 3 mass system as

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc} \ddot{x_1} \\ \ddot{x_2} \\ \ddot{x_3} \end{array} \right)=\lambda _{1}v_{1}x+\lambda _{2}v_{2}x+\lambda _{3}v_3x [/tex]

where

[tex] x=\left( \begin{array}{cc} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

is this correct?

ahh i think i understand now, I read up on a chapter on diagonalization and now I understand how it can be applied to solve the system of differential equations. Thanks for your help tiny tim.

1. What are coupled oscillations?

Coupled oscillations refer to a system of two or more oscillators that are connected or interacting with each other. This results in a complex motion that is different from the simple harmonic motion of individual oscillators.

2. How do you solve for eigenvectors in coupled oscillations?

To solve for eigenvectors in coupled oscillations, you can use the method of diagonalization. This involves finding the eigenvalues of the system's matrix and then using them to find the eigenvectors, which represent the natural frequencies of the system.

3. What is the significance of eigenvectors in coupled oscillations?

Eigenvectors are important in coupled oscillations because they represent the natural modes of vibration of the system. By finding the eigenvectors, we can understand the behavior of the system and predict how it will respond to different inputs or perturbations.

4. How do you find the solutions for coupled oscillations?

The solutions for coupled oscillations can be found by expressing the initial conditions as a linear combination of the eigenvectors and then using the general solution for coupled oscillations, which involves the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the system.

5. Can coupled oscillations be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, coupled oscillations are commonly found in real-world situations, such as in mechanical systems like pendulums or in electrical circuits. They are also used in various fields of science and engineering, such as in the study of coupled chemical reactions or in the analysis of coupled biological systems.