Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coupled Oscillations

1. Nov 5, 2004 #1
    I have a system that consist of the first spring attached to a ceiling and a first mass is attached to this spring. Then a second spring is attached to this first mass. Finally I have another mass attached to the second spring. So all of it is just hanging down. (I hope this is a good enough explanation). Will gravity have any effect; when the particles are displaced assuming the particles are displaced the same distance and released at the same time.

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, gravity will have an effect.
  4. Nov 6, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As Integral said, gravity will have an effect.
    To be precise, gravity will influence what the equilibrium position will be.
  5. Nov 6, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In a Newtonian approach,the gravitational force and the elastic force are the only ones who could influence the movement,provided that you neglect all effects of friction/air resistance.It takes to move only one particle (and not both at the same time) to destroy the equilibrium between the 2 forces mentioned ealier and set this device into permenent oscillation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?