1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coupled oscillator problem

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    I am given a set up with two pendulums of unknown mass m, of length =.4 meters. They are connected together with a spring of unknown spring constant k. It says when one of the bobs if fixed in place the other has a period of 1.25 seconds. I am then asked to find the period of each normal mode when both bobs are free. I know I need to find k but don't understand how using the information given about the pendulum with a spring attached. I know the frequency of the pinned system but am not sure how to get k from that, as it isn't just equal to k/m.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take the movable bob and displace it by some small distance dx from its equilibrium position. Now what is the total restoring force on it (from gravity + spring) ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?