Coupled Pendulum/Mass on spring

In summary, we simplified the equations of motion for the given system by using the small angle approximation and the fact that \ddot{y}_{2} << g.
mr.hood

Homework Statement

A mass M1 sits on a level frictionless surface attached to a spring of stiffness k. Mass M2 is supported from M1 by a string of length [tex]l[/tex]. The horiztonal displacement from the equilibrium position of M1 is x1; the horizontal displacement of the pendulum from the wall where the spring is attached is x2; and the vertical displacement of the pendulum is y2. Find the exact equations of motion for x1, x2, and y2. Then, show that the equations can be reduced, using the small angle approximation (sin(x) ~ tan(x) ~ x) and the fact that
[tex]\ddot{y}_{2}<<g[/tex]

to:

[tex]M_{1} \ddot{x}_{1} = -k x_{1} + M_{2} \frac{g}{l} \left(x_{2} - x_{1}\right)[/tex]
[tex]M_{2} \ddot{x}_{2} = - M_{2} \frac{g}{l} \left(x_{2} - x_{1}\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I've attempted to derive the exact equations for motion:

[tex]M_{1} \ddot{x}_{1} = -k x_{1} + M_{2} g \left(sin\theta cos\theta \right) [/tex]
[tex]M_{2} \ddot{x}_{2} = -M_{2} g \left(sin\theta cos\theta \right) [/tex]
[tex]M_{2} \ddot{y}_{2} = -M_{2} g \left(sin^{2} \theta \right) [/tex]

where theta is the angular displacement of the pendulum from the equilibrium position. In the first equation, the force terms on the right come from the spring and the horizontal component of the tension in the string connecting the two masses (which is the component of the weight of the pendulum pointed parallel to the string). In the second and third equations, the force terms are just the horizontal and vertical components of the component of the pendulum's weight pointed in the direction of its motion. I find it would be much easier to just derive the equations of motion in terms of the angle theta, and then use the small angle approximation, but I have to do it from the equations I just gave. I'm just having trouble making the leap to the simplified equations. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your attempt at the solution so far. It looks like you are on the right track in deriving the exact equations of motion for the system.

To simplify the equations using the small angle approximation, we need to assume that the angle theta is very small (i.e. sin(theta) ~ theta). This allows us to rewrite the equations as:

M_{1} \ddot{x}_{1} = -k x_{1} + M_{2} g \left(\theta cos\theta \right)
M_{2} \ddot{x}_{2} = -M_{2} g \left(\theta cos\theta \right)
M_{2} \ddot{y}_{2} = -M_{2} g \left(\theta^{2} \right)

Next, we can use the fact that cos(theta) ~ 1 and theta^2 << g to further simplify the equations to:

M_{1} \ddot{x}_{1} = -k x_{1} + M_{2} g \theta
M_{2} \ddot{x}_{2} = -M_{2} g \theta
M_{2} \ddot{y}_{2} = 0

Finally, we can substitute in the small angle approximation (sin(theta) ~ theta) and the fact that \ddot{y}_{2} << g to get the simplified equations of motion:

M_{1} \ddot{x}_{1} = -k x_{1} + M_{2} \frac{g}{l} \left(x_{2} - x_{1}\right)
M_{2} \ddot{x}_{2} = - M_{2} \frac{g}{l} \left(x_{2} - x_{1}\right)

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any clarification.

What is a coupled pendulum/mass on spring system?

A coupled pendulum/mass on spring system consists of two pendulums or masses connected by a spring. The system exhibits complex behaviors due to the interaction between the pendulum/mass motion and the spring's restoring force.

What are the equations of motion for a coupled pendulum/mass on spring system?

The equations of motion for a coupled pendulum/mass on spring system are derived from Newton's second law of motion. They include terms for the mass, spring constant, and damping coefficient, as well as the angular displacement and velocity of each pendulum/mass.

What factors affect the behavior of a coupled pendulum/mass on spring system?

The behavior of a coupled pendulum/mass on spring system is affected by various factors such as the mass of the pendulums/masses, the length of the pendulums, the stiffness of the spring, and the damping coefficient. Additionally, the initial conditions, such as the initial displacement and velocity, also play a role in the system's behavior.

What are the types of motion observed in a coupled pendulum/mass on spring system?

The types of motion observed in a coupled pendulum/mass on spring system include simple harmonic motion, chaotic motion, and phase-locked motion. Simple harmonic motion occurs when the system is undamped and the pendulums/masses oscillate in a regular pattern. Chaotic motion occurs when there is a high degree of damping, causing the pendulums/masses to move erratically. Phase-locked motion occurs when the pendulums/masses synchronize their motion due to the coupling effect of the spring.

What are some real-world applications of coupled pendulum/mass on spring systems?

Coupled pendulum/mass on spring systems have various real-world applications, such as in mechanical clocks, seismometers, and musical instruments. They are also used in engineering and physics research as models for studying complex systems and phenomena.