Can I Couple Angular Momenta Into One Big One?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of coupling angular momenta l_1, l_2, and l_3 into one big momentum L. The correct way to do this is to first couple two of the momenta and then couple the third. This has been studied by Wigner and Racah, and can be found in Wigner's book or Tinkham's book on Group Theory and Quantum Mechanics. The product eigenstates are related through the wigner 6J coefficients. The person asking the question confirms that they were correct in their understanding, and thanks everyone for their input.
suyver
I have three angular momenta [itex]l_1,l_2,l_3[/itex] which I want to couple into one big one:

[tex]L\equiv l_1+l_2+l_3.[/tex]

Can I just do this by coupling [itex]l_1,l_2[/itex] into [itex]L'[/itex] and then couple [itex]L',l_3[/itex] into [itex]L[/itex]?

I would guess that I could equally couple [itex]l_2,l_3[/itex] into [itex]L'[/itex] and then couple [itex]l_1,L'[/itex] into [itex]L[/itex] and this would give the same result. Correct?
My reason to assume this: the different [itex]l_i[/itex] work on different parts of the system.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is the correct way to do it, couple two of the angular momenta then couple the third. If memory serves me correctly, this was done by Wigner and also by Racah...Look in Wigners book or Tinkhams book on Group Theory and Quantum Mechanics, it is all there.

I've been doing a lot of reading on this subject lately. You are completley correct in stating that you can first add j1 and j2, and then add this to j3. Likewise you can first add j2 and j3 and add this to j1. These product eigenstates are related through the wigner 6J coefficients.

Thanks for answering, all! I was quite sure that I was right, but I thought it never hurts to ask. After all, there are no stupid questions (only stupid people )

1. What is the concept of coupling angular momenta?

The concept of coupling angular momenta refers to the mathematical technique used to describe the total angular momentum of a system composed of multiple particles or objects. It involves combining the individual angular momenta of each particle to determine the overall angular momentum of the system.

2. How is angular momentum coupled in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is coupled by using the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, which describe the coupling of two angular momenta to form a total angular momentum. These coefficients determine the relative probabilities of different angular momentum states in a coupled system.

3. What are the different types of angular momentum coupling?

There are two types of angular momentum coupling: LS coupling and jj coupling. LS coupling refers to the coupling of the orbital angular momentum and spin angular momentum of an individual particle. jj coupling, on the other hand, involves the coupling of the total angular momentum of each individual particle before combining them to form the total angular momentum of the system.

4. How does coupling angular momenta affect energy levels?

Coupling angular momenta can affect energy levels by causing them to split into multiple levels. This is known as fine structure splitting and is a result of the interaction between the orbital angular momentum and spin angular momentum of an individual particle.

5. What are some real-world applications of coupling angular momenta?

Coupling angular momenta has many applications in physics, including in atomic and molecular spectroscopy, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. It is also used in quantum computing and in understanding the behavior of systems in quantum mechanics.