Can increasing the potential width α decrease the coupling constant λ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the parameters λ and α in a Schrodinger operator and how an increase in α can be equivalent to a decrease in λ. The speaker suggests using a new energy and position variable to better understand this relationship.
intervoxel
Hi,

I'm studying a theorem that is valid for a small coupling constant λ in the Schrodinger operator below

[itex]
-\frac{d^2}{dx^2}+\lambda V
[/itex]

The potential has a parameter α which defines its width.

My question is: Starting with λ=1 and α=1, can I claim that if I increase the value of α (α >> 1) is equivalent to decrease λ (λ << 1)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I would have said that you can prove that an increase in a is equivalent to an increase in lambda. The way to do it is define a new energy variable, call it F = a2 E, and a new position variable, call it y = x/a. Then in terms of the new energy F, the Shroedinger operator is
[itex]
-\frac{d^2}{dy^2}+\lambda a^2 V(y)
[/itex],
and we see that the equivalence class is defined by the value of [itex]\lambda a^2 V(x=a)[/itex], which characterizes the strength of the potential term relative to the kinetic energy term.

Thank you for the answer

1. What is coupling potential width?

Coupling potential width refers to the distance over which two particles interact with each other. It is a measure of the strength of the interaction between the particles, and can affect the behavior and properties of a system.

2. How does coupling potential width impact particle behavior?

The coupling potential width can affect the energy levels and interactions of particles within a system. A wider coupling potential width can result in stronger interactions between particles, leading to changes in the overall behavior and dynamics of the system.

3. What factors influence coupling potential width?

The coupling potential width can be influenced by several factors, including the type of particles involved, their distance from each other, and any external forces or fields acting on the system. The material and environment in which the particles are located can also affect the coupling potential width.

4. How is coupling potential width measured or calculated?

Coupling potential width can be measured experimentally using techniques such as spectroscopy or neutron scattering. It can also be calculated theoretically using mathematical models and equations that take into account the relevant factors such as particle properties and interactions.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying coupling potential width?

Understanding coupling potential width is important in various fields of science, such as materials science, chemistry, and physics. It can help in predicting and controlling the properties and behavior of materials and systems, and has applications in areas such as drug delivery, energy storage, and nanotechnology.