Comparing Math Programs at NYU Courant to Ivy League Schools

• Thread starter hsetennis
  • Start date
In summary, NYU has a strong math program with a good number of students. The undergrad program is doable to do research in. The professors are generally easy to get along with and are always open to extra questions and conversations. After NYU, I went to a PhD program in math.
hsetennis
As a high school senior, I'm looking at various colleges at which major in mathematics. I'm currently debating the pros and cons the math programs at these schools. I heard about Courant via wikipedia surfing and I keep reading great stats about its professors and graduate program.

How does it stand compared to Ivy league math departments? Is the undergrad program as good as its graduate program?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll let someone else take a shot at how it compares to an Ivy, but I can talk about the undergrad program. The undergrad program is strong. The courses are definitely tough, and the professors are pretty good. Most professors at Courant, especially past the lower division, care about teaching and are relatively easy to get along with and are always open to extra questions, conversations, and willing to give advice. Again, I can't really compare any of this with other universities and their courses. If you have anything more specific to ask, let me know!

zapz said:
I'll let someone else take a shot at how it compares to an Ivy, but I can talk about the undergrad program. The undergrad program is strong. The courses are definitely tough, and the professors are pretty good. Most professors at Courant, especially past the lower division, care about teaching and are relatively easy to get along with and are always open to extra questions, conversations, and willing to give advice. Again, I can't really compare any of this with other universities and their courses. If you have anything more specific to ask, let me know!

Oh I have so much to ask! How many math major students are there at NYU? How accessible is it to do research as an undergrad? What was your favorite experience at Courant? What did you do after NYU? What's it like going to college in the big apple?

hsetennis said:
Oh I have so much to ask! How many math major students are there at NYU? How accessible is it to do research as an undergrad? What was your favorite experience at Courant? What did you do after NYU? What's it like going to college in the big apple?

Thats a good question. I want to say maybe ~50 per class. So maybe ~200 total? Thats a guess though.
It's definitely doable to do research as an undergrad. You definitely have to be a goer though and getting in touch with people and being persistent. NYU has a summer program/funding for just NYU undergrads to do math research which is really nice. If you know you want to do a research project, you should try to enroll in honors sections of calculus and chemistry. NYU is a big school and a ton of kids will take calc I/II/III their freshman year, so an honors section will give you a lot more exposure to your professors.
Probably my favorite experience at Courant has been working on an on going research project and learning so many cool things that go beyond the scope of an undergrad class.
I'm actually still an undergrad here, but my plan is to continue onto a PhD in math, although I'm not sure what area yet.
College in NYC is certainly a unique experience. It really depends on the person. I really enjoy it, although it can get a little hectic. The good thing is though, when it does get crazy, there's always some other area/neighborhood/district that has a different feel to it that you can go it. A lot of the kids who don't do well at NYU/in NYC really longed for a big community with a well defined campus and football, so you do have to know what you're getting with New York.
Any more questions feel free to PM, reply, carrier pigeon, what have you!

I can offer an objective perspective on comparing math programs at NYU Courant to Ivy League schools. Firstly, it is important to note that the quality of a math program can vary greatly depending on individual interests and goals. It is important to carefully consider factors such as course offerings, research opportunities, and faculty expertise when evaluating a math program.

That being said, NYU Courant is widely recognized as a top institution for mathematics, with a strong reputation for its graduate program. Its faculty members are highly accomplished and the graduate program consistently ranks among the best in the country. However, it is worth noting that the undergraduate program at NYU Courant may not be as well-known or highly ranked as its graduate program.

In comparison, Ivy League schools also have highly reputable math programs, with some of the top-ranked universities in the world offering strong undergraduate and graduate programs. These schools often have larger endowments and resources, which can lead to more research opportunities and prestigious faculty members.

Ultimately, the decision between NYU Courant and an Ivy League school for a math program will depend on individual preferences and priorities. It is important to thoroughly research and consider all aspects of each program before making a decision. Additionally, it may be beneficial to speak with current students or alumni from both types of institutions to gain a better understanding of their experiences.

What math programs are offered at NYU Courant and Ivy League schools?

NYU Courant offers undergraduate and graduate programs in mathematics, including pure and applied mathematics, financial mathematics, and data science. Ivy League schools also offer a wide range of mathematics programs, including applied mathematics, statistics, and computational mathematics.

How do the math programs at NYU Courant compare to those at Ivy League schools?

The math programs at NYU Courant are highly regarded and have a strong reputation in the mathematics community. They are rigorous and challenging, with a focus on both theoretical and applied mathematics. Similarly, the math programs at Ivy League schools are also highly prestigious and have a strong emphasis on both theory and application.

What are the major differences between NYU Courant and Ivy League math programs?

The main difference between NYU Courant and Ivy League math programs is the size and location of the institutions. NYU Courant is a larger, urban university, while Ivy League schools are smaller, more traditional campuses. Additionally, Ivy League schools tend to have more resources and funding for research opportunities and faculty support.

What career opportunities are available for graduates of the math programs at NYU Courant and Ivy League schools?

Graduates of both NYU Courant and Ivy League math programs have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. These may include positions in academia, industry, government, and research. Graduates may also go on to pursue graduate studies in mathematics or related fields.

Are there any notable alumni from the math programs at NYU Courant and Ivy League schools?

Both NYU Courant and Ivy League schools have produced many notable alumni in the field of mathematics. Some examples include John Nash, a Nobel Prize winner from Princeton University, and Shafi Goldwasser, a Turing Award winner from Cornell University. NYU Courant alumni include luminaries such as Richard Courant, the father of modern numerical analysis, and Ingrid Daubechies, a pioneer in the field of wavelets.