1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Course choices!

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    So, I got some choices to make. I'm about to start the last year in CS undergrad studies.
    I've already picked most of the courses, but I'm struggling with the following.

- On one hand, I like algorithms, image processing \ vision, network & internet stuff, etc., and I want to receive comprehensive training in those areas. Possibly for future research / grad school.

- On the other hand, I'm still not sure that I want to go to grad school for a CS degree. I like physics. and so I want to take as many physics-related math courses I can (No physics in my university at all), e.g. calculus related courses, to have good background for physics studies if that's what I decide (I also like calc). and even if I don't go to physics in grad school, I want to be able to learn physics on my own.

Those are the options I got:

Configuration I: No additional math.

Computational Complexity (graduate level)
    Advanced Internet & Networks (graduate level)
    3-D Computer Vision (graduate level)
    Approximation and Online Algorithms
    Web Programming

versus

Configuration III: ODE, no cc

Advanced (graduate level) course in Internet & Networks
    Approximation and Online Algorithms
    (ordinary-) Differential Equations
    Web Programming

versus

Configuration II: ODE + Calculus, no algorithms, no cc

Advanced Internet & Networks (graduate level)
    (ordinary-) Differential Equations
    Calculus III
    Web Programming

versus

Configuration IV: ODE + Calculus + Complex, no algorithms, no computer vision, no internet

Computational Complexity (graduate level)
    Calculus III
    Differential Equations
    Complex Analysis
    Advanced Optimizations of Compilers (graduate level) [wtf, who cares about compilers?]
    Web Programming
    Machine Learning (graduate level) or <Small, easy 'general choice' course>

Sorry it's so long and complicated, it somehow always ends up like that.

I know there is no right or wrong here, but I'm really lost. Which configuration should I take, based on the information I have given? seems like any choice is a trade-off.

any advice would be useful.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted