Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Course choices!

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    So, I got some choices to make. I'm about to start the last year in CS undergrad studies.
    I've already picked most of the courses, but I'm struggling with the following.

- On one hand, I like algorithms, image processing \ vision, network & internet stuff, etc., and I want to receive comprehensive training in those areas. Possibly for future research / grad school.

- On the other hand, I'm still not sure that I want to go to grad school for a CS degree. I like physics. and so I want to take as many physics-related math courses I can (No physics in my university at all), e.g. calculus related courses, to have good background for physics studies if that's what I decide (I also like calc). and even if I don't go to physics in grad school, I want to be able to learn physics on my own.

Those are the options I got:

Configuration I: No additional math.

Computational Complexity (graduate level)
    Advanced Internet & Networks (graduate level)
    3-D Computer Vision (graduate level)
    Approximation and Online Algorithms
    Web Programming

versus

Configuration III: ODE, no cc

Advanced (graduate level) course in Internet & Networks
    Approximation and Online Algorithms
    (ordinary-) Differential Equations
    Web Programming

versus

Configuration II: ODE + Calculus, no algorithms, no cc

Advanced Internet & Networks (graduate level)
    (ordinary-) Differential Equations
    Calculus III
    Web Programming

versus

Configuration IV: ODE + Calculus + Complex, no algorithms, no computer vision, no internet

Computational Complexity (graduate level)
    Calculus III
    Differential Equations
    Complex Analysis
    Advanced Optimizations of Compilers (graduate level) [wtf, who cares about compilers?]
    Web Programming
    Machine Learning (graduate level) or <Small, easy 'general choice' course>

Sorry it's so long and complicated, it somehow always ends up like that.

I know there is no right or wrong here, but I'm really lost. Which configuration should I take, based on the information I have given? seems like any choice is a trade-off.

any advice would be useful.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted