What's the best way to boost my career and salary in a different field?

In summary, you might be able to improve your career prospects by getting an add-on degree in ME, or by moving to a location where the ME market is stronger. You should be able to make a decent salary as a civil engineer, but it might be worth considering a different field if you're not happy with your current salary.
Billie_Jean
Hi guys, I'm 10 years into civil engineering (geotechnical) but it's not paying much so now I am trying to course correct with the least amount of financial damage. What's the best thing i can do now to boost my career salary or go into a different field? I want to get an add on degree/certificate that'll set me ahead.

I feel like with covid, i have an advantage because most unis offer online degrees/programs that i could enroll in in the fall while holding down a full time job. I want to take advantage of location being irrelevant at the moment.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moderator's note: Moved thread to the STEM career guidance forum.

Are you telling the whole story? I do not know what geotechnical is about. Civil engineering it would seem as being pretty mundane but all discipline do have some form of advanced technology these days. With ten years of experience, one would expect to have advanced within any sector to a fairly high level. Are you keeping up with the technology making yourself more valuable? Is there no room for advancement (which seems unlikely)? Is your predicament indicative of the whole industry? Do you have a good idea of what you should be paid as for example from a professional survey? Low pay may be due to a saturated market or is it your organization in particular or is it you not taking advantage of opportunities within the sector? Are you bored with your work? Do you think you are undervalued?

Before you go off trying to make a radical change in your life be sure you cannot just tweak your situation a bit and make a significant advancement. For example, improving your skills, or relocating to a different geographical area where the labor market is better or your skills are in more demand.

Likes russ_watters, Billie_Jean and Locrian
You didn't tell us where you are located - it will make a big difference. It would also help to get an idea of roughly what you're making now. 10 years in civ-e should probably put you in the 80's or 90's?

It's going to be hard to get into a field that will make substantially more without going back to school or taking a serious step down in salary. How big a sacrifice are you willing to make?

Billie_Jean said:
Hi guys, I'm 10 years into civil engineering (geotechnical) but it's not paying much so now I am trying to course correct with the least amount of financial damage. What's the best thing i can do now to boost my career salary or go into a different field? I want to get an add on degree/certificate that'll set me ahead.

I feel like with covid, i have an advantage because most unis offer online degrees/programs that i could enroll in in the fall while holding down a full time job. I want to take advantage of location being irrelevant at the moment.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

From your CE studies or your work since getting the degree, have you developed any special interests or skills? How much ME did you take in school, and have you been involved much with ME work since?

If you have an interest in ME work, you might be able to apply for a Master's program in ME to add that degree. That might make your career prospects expand a bit, depending on what the ME market is like near you. You likely will have to take a few extra bridge classes in ME that you didn't take in undergrad, but it seems like the transition from CE to ME is a lot more straightforward than trying to get a bew degree in an unrelated field.

Likes Joshy
Locrian said:
You didn't tell us where you are located - it will make a big difference. It would also help to get an idea of roughly what you're making now. 10 years in civ-e should probably put you in the 80's or 90's?

It's going to be hard to get into a field that will make substantially more without going back to school or taking a serious step down in salary. How big a sacrifice are you willing to make?
i'm making just shy of 80k at the moment and based in Toronto Canada. I've worked in Australia as well and payscale is roughly the same with small adjustment for higher cost of living there. Based on my research I should expect the same pay in the US. I understand that Civil Engineering isn't a very lucrative career path compared to other disciplines such as computer or electrical eng. Heck even an HR person in a big firm is making more than me.

I'm okay to go back to school...ideally I would like to minimize the number of years I'll be going back so hoping to find a path that has a bit of overlap with Civil.

Obtaining credentials for a management position in any field will result in a boost in salary. You have to have a mindset and personal skill for such a position. Not everybody can be successful as a manager but it uses your technical knowledge. From what I have garnered from the web geotechnical engineering has may avenues from the core applications. Building on your current expertise would seem to be the most efficient way to go.

Likes russ_watters
gleem said:
Obtaining credentials for a management position in any field will result in a boost in salary. You have to have a mindset and personal skill for such a position. Not everybody can be successful as a manager but it uses your technical knowledge.
This would be my recommendation, though the OP didn't say how much money, in what time frame or what their interests were. But a few years of night/weekend classes to get an MBA is a common path into management and higher pay in engineering.

It also could be better to go toward working for larger companies with more layers. A design firm may be a little flat and thought the pay is pretty good, true "promotions" are rare.

Likes atyy and berkeman
berkeman said:
You likely will have to take a few extra bridge classes
I saw what you did there :-p

• Haha
Likes atyy, Joshy, Locrian and 3 others

1. What skills should I focus on developing to boost my career and salary in a different field?

The specific skills you should focus on developing will depend on the field you are interested in. However, in general, some important skills to have in any field include communication, problem-solving, adaptability, and technical skills relevant to the field. It's also important to keep up with industry trends and continuously learn and improve your skills.

2. Is it better to switch industries or pursue higher education for career advancement and salary increase?

It ultimately depends on your individual goals and the specific job market in your desired field. Pursuing higher education can provide you with specialized knowledge and credentials that can make you more competitive in certain industries. However, switching industries can also open up new opportunities and allow you to transfer your skills and experiences to a different field. Consider your long-term career goals and research the job market in your desired field to make the best decision for you.

3. How important is networking in boosting my career and salary in a different field?

Networking can be crucial in advancing your career and salary in a different field. Building relationships with professionals in your desired field can provide you with valuable insights, job opportunities, and referrals. Attend industry events, join professional organizations, and connect with people on LinkedIn to expand your network and increase your chances of success in a different field.

4. Should I take a pay cut when switching to a different field for career advancement?

It depends on your individual circumstances and priorities. If the new field offers more opportunities for growth and advancement, taking a pay cut in the short term may be worth it in the long run. However, it's important to carefully consider your financial needs and make a decision that aligns with your goals and priorities.

5. How can I negotiate a higher salary when transitioning to a different field?

Research is key when negotiating a higher salary in a different field. Research the average salary for the position in your desired field and use your previous experiences and skills to showcase your value to the company. Be confident and prepared to make a case for why you deserve a higher salary. It's also important to be willing to compromise and have realistic expectations.