1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Course of pure math

1. Jun 27, 2009 #1
    Guys ..i have a plan to learn calculus and ive heard g.h Hardy book:a course of pure math is good for beginner ,and ive heard a lot of good things too about this book ..so guys ? its true ? anyone who have had experience with this book so please tell me ..just make an agreement,or disagree about this ..or you guys can make a review about this book,anything i would very appreciate.. thanx

for information i want for self study because im interesting in math and maybe for my career (i have been considering to be an engineer) ..tHanx again -love

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2009 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a nice book albeit a bit old-fashioned, e.g., sequences are referred to as "functions of an integer variable" and doesn't have much in the way of applications, so it may not be the best choice if want a basis for engineering. For that purpose I would recommend taking a look at Courant and John's "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Volume 1." This book is both mathematically rigorous and full of interesting applications.

4. Jun 27, 2009 #3

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

If you're just learning calculus, then I'd suggest getting a general calc textbook such as Thomas' or Stewart's book.

5. Jun 28, 2009 #4
    I'm reading through Courant right now and it's quite good. I can now see why others have recommended it in the place of Spivak.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook