Course Selection for 10th Grader Dreaming of Surgeon Career

• Thread starter Emma Hong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, the speaker is a tenth grade student from Canada who wants to become a plastic surgeon. They are currently taking bio and chem 11 and are unsure if they should also take physics or join the IB programme. They are also a trained life guard, swimming coach, and teacher with first aid experience. They plan on moving to Korea in the future and are seeking advice on what courses to take for their education.
Emma Hong
Hi I'm in the tenth grade and I have always had the dream of becoming a surgeon. I realized I would like to be a plastic surgeon since grade 8. I plan to eventually move to korea and specialize there. I was wondering what courses should I take? I have already taken science 10 in the summer and am taking bio and chem 11 right now. I am not sure to take physics as well next year as it is one of my weaker subjects. Or should I go into the IB programme but they only allow two sciences. I am not sure what to take? I am also a life guard, swimming coach and teacher and trained in first aid. I joined all the first aid clubs and plan to volunteer at the local hospital soon.

Likes Wee-Lamm
Physics news on Phys.org
Emma Hong said:
I plan to eventually move to korea
Where are you now? Someone who is familiar with the educational system in your country is more likely to give useful responses. I suspect you're not in the US because you say "grade 8" instead of "8th grade", and I've never seen a US student talk about "science 10".

jtbell said:
Where are you now?
Vancouver, Canada

If you're planning to stay in Canada for your education, medical schools commonly required prerequisite courses in biology, chemistry and physics at the first year university level. Fundamental aspects of these subjects are also commonly tested on the MCAT - the "medical college admission test" that is required by most medical schools. So there's no getting around it. You need to take all of the sciences through high school if you want to get into medicine.

1. What courses should I take in high school if I want to become a surgeon?

In high school, it is important to take a variety of science courses, such as biology, chemistry, and physics. It is also beneficial to take advanced math courses, such as calculus. Additionally, taking anatomy and physiology courses can provide a strong foundation for a future career in surgery.

2. Is it necessary to take advanced science and math courses in high school to become a surgeon?

While it is not absolutely necessary, taking advanced science and math courses in high school can provide a strong foundation for a future career in surgery. These courses will help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are important in the medical field.

3. Are there any other courses besides science and math that I should take in high school?

In addition to science and math courses, it is important for aspiring surgeons to also take courses in English, writing, and communication. These skills are essential for effective communication with patients and colleagues in the medical field.

4. Should I take any extracurricular activities related to medicine or surgery?

Participating in extracurricular activities related to medicine or surgery, such as volunteering at a hospital or shadowing a surgeon, can provide valuable experience and insight into the field. It can also demonstrate a strong interest and dedication to pursuing a career in surgery.

5. Can I still become a surgeon if I didn't take specific high school courses?

While taking specific high school courses can be beneficial, it is not the only factor in becoming a surgeon. It is possible to pursue a career in surgery by taking prerequisite courses in college and demonstrating a strong academic record in relevant subjects. It is also important to gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities in the medical field.