1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Course Selection

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    I am an electrical engineering student and for the upcoming semester I would like to take intermediate classical mechanics (not intro). The problem is that the professor teaching the class is one hardcore dude. According to a student that is currently in his class, he says that he typically has tests that have a 30% average and it is an insane amount of work.

I have talked with a grad student in electrical engineering (researching stuff very similar to what I am interested in) and he said that nobody would ever care if I take a mechanics class.

Does anyone have any opinions or thoughts on whether or not I should take a class such as this? It is worth taking despite the possibility of totally screwing up my GPA? I find it very unlikely that I will get an A because there is no way I can compete with a bunch of physics majors who have a very solid understanding of physical concepts. I would like to take the class to learn something, but perhaps I shouldn't because of this risk.

If I don't take this mechanics class, would I screw up my future in terms of being able to learn quantum mechanics and solid state physics?

Alternatively, I could take a relatively easy mechanics of materials class and be done with the requirement that I need to fulfill.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted