1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Courses for Next Semester

1. Oct 22, 2005 #1
    Hey guys.

Based on your experiences, do you think this would an okay course schedule for the next semester or a bit overload. If I complete these courses, I graduate after this semester... or should I just wait a bit?

Abstract Algebra
    Differential Geometry (Independent Study)
    Real Analysis II
    Modern Physics
    Quantum Physics I
    Experimental Physics
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since I don't know how good at math and physics you are, or how willing you are to really "push" yourself, I can only make general comments.
    You should be aware that Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra are two of the most difficult courses in the undergraduate math curriculum- and that differential geometry, especially if you are doing it as independent study, is not far behind. I don't know what reason you would have for wanting to graduate earlier, but be aware that you are in for a rough semester!
  4. Oct 22, 2005 #3
    Diversity is the key. I believe there is a psychological condition when one subject conflicts with a previous and post learning situation.

For example: Learning french will conflict with your spanish test if you also have to study spanish that day.

Sure mathematics and physics are great, try a little bit of diversity though.
  5. Oct 24, 2005 #4
    Well, I easily passed Real Analysis I and thought that Vector Analysis (the prerequisite to Differential Geometry) was very easy. I'm pretty much doing the same "workload" this semester with the following:

Modern Algebra
    Classical Dynamics
    Physics Lab: Circuit Theory
    Modern Optics
    Mathematical Physics

and am finding it pretty managable throughout. The only worry I have is with Abstract Algebra since I know the professor who is teaching it will be very strict (wanting a proof "his way") and the fact that it is a hard course.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?