Courses for Next Semester

• Courses
  • Thread starter TimNguyen
  • Start date
Hey guys.

Based on your experiences, do you think this would an okay course schedule for the next semester or a bit overload. If I complete these courses, I graduate after this semester... or should I just wait a bit?

Abstract Algebra
Differential Geometry (Independent Study)
Real Analysis II
Modern Physics
Quantum Physics I
Experimental Physics

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Since I don't know how good at math and physics you are, or how willing you are to really "push" yourself, I can only make general comments.
You should be aware that Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra are two of the most difficult courses in the undergraduate math curriculum- and that differential geometry, especially if you are doing it as independent study, is not far behind. I don't know what reason you would have for wanting to graduate earlier, but be aware that you are in for a rough semester!

Diversity is the key. I believe there is a psychological condition when one subject conflicts with a previous and post learning situation.

For example: Learning french will conflict with your spanish test if you also have to study spanish that day.

Sure mathematics and physics are great, try a little bit of diversity though.

HallsofIvy said:
Since I don't know how good at math and physics you are, or how willing you are to really "push" yourself, I can only make general comments.
You should be aware that Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra are two of the most difficult courses in the undergraduate math curriculum- and that differential geometry, especially if you are doing it as independent study, is not far behind. I don't know what reason you would have for wanting to graduate earlier, but be aware that you are in for a rough semester!
Well, I easily passed Real Analysis I and thought that Vector Analysis (the prerequisite to Differential Geometry) was very easy. I'm pretty much doing the same "workload" this semester with the following:

Modern Algebra
Topology
Classical Dynamics
Physics Lab: Circuit Theory
Modern Optics
Mathematical Physics

and am finding it pretty managable throughout. The only worry I have is with Abstract Algebra since I know the professor who is teaching it will be very strict (wanting a proof "his way") and the fact that it is a hard course.