Courses to take in high school?

In summary: Well, I'm still undecided. I like the idea of pursuing a Phd in theory, but I'm not sure if I should go for pure math or mathematical physics. I'll think about it more and let you know what I decide.In summary, In high school, you took AP Calculus BC and are taking honors-level calculus, linear algebra, and introductory analysis courses this semester at a local college. You are considering a double major in mathematics and physics. You have done some self-study of Rudin's Abstract Algebra, but are undecided about whether to pursue a Phd in theory or mathematical physics.
dogpoint
Hi all,

I am currently a junior. I am taking the standard AP Physics C this semester, and in the spring hope to take a formal Classical Mechanics course at a local college (to cover lagrangians, hamiltonians, calc or variations, all that good stuff). Next year, I will hopefully take a similar upper level, theoretical electricity and magnetism course and possibly a quantum mechanics course.

However, I am open to tweaking my schedule. Are there are any other courses that would be good to take now to get a "head start" for college and research? Anything to self study, less formally?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done AP Calculus BC? If you have or haven't, it is worth going through a book like Spivak. After, try to cover multivariate calculus or differential equations or linear algebra.

For physics, try to self-study classical mechanics (Kleppner or Morin) and electricity & magnetism (Purcell).

I took AP Calc BC last year. This year I'm doing an honors sequence of multivariable calc, linear algebra, and introductory analysis at a local college. I've been self studying ODE'S using MITopencourseware in my spare time. Any suggestions for relevant math next year/over the summer? I was thinking either formal real analysis or differential geometry. Thoughts on which one would be more applicable?

As for the physics book suggestions, thanks a million! I'll definitely check them out.

Honestly I'm not a fan of local college courses. They were way below the level that I found in self-studying or at university. Maybe you would want to study those math courses again (should be much easier now).

Well, I am taking them at a University, a "top 10 school" or something like that ("top five," I think, actually? Whatever, rankings are arbitrary anyway). I just sort of got used to saying "college" because I'm taking them through the undergraduate division. They're pretty rigorous and challenging, and very theoretical/proof-based for the math ones. Anyway, sorry about the linguistic imprecision.

dogpoint said:
Well, I am taking them at a University, a "top 10 school" or something like that ("top five," I think, actually? Whatever, rankings are arbitrary anyway). I just sort of got used to saying "college" because I'm taking them through the undergraduate division. They're pretty rigorous and challenging, and very theoretical/proof-based for the math ones. Anyway, sorry about the linguistic imprecision.

I'm so used to "college" implying a local college within 5 miles of your house. First of all, you're a very lucky person. Few people have access to such universities in high school. Then I guess you've gained a very good education from there.

Then you're pretty much set. You don't have to review those subjects and focus your attention on the physics courses.

You said learn "real analysis formally". Didn't you already learn from something like Rudin at your university?

Ha yes, truly, I'm quite lucky to have such resources available.

As for analysis, the course I'm taking is technically "introductory analysis." The college (er, university) also offers a more advanced study of real analysis.

dogpoint said:
Ha yes, truly, I'm quite lucky to have such resources available.

As for analysis, the course I'm taking is technically "introductory analysis." The college (er, university) also offers a more advanced study of real analysis.

Well, if you have the opportunity to take it, you might as well. If not, you can self-study it if you want. What textbook did it use in the introductory analysis course? Also, what are your aspirations? A double major in mathematics and physics?

No textbook, just my professor's notes. Which makes it a little hard to compare to other sources. The same prof also teaches the Real Analysis course and uses his own notes. I'll definitely do a little self-studying from Rudin's to supplement the 'introductory analysis' stuff though (just found a pdf for free- exciting!).

Yeah, probably a double major in math and physics at this point. And a Phd in theory, hopefully. I like pure math (namely topology and differential geo, from what I've seen) but mostly I'm interested in mathematical physics.

dogpoint said:
No textbook, just my professor's notes. Which makes it a little hard to compare to other sources. The same prof also teaches the Real Analysis course and uses his own notes. I'll definitely do a little self-studying from Rudin's to supplement the 'introductory analysis' stuff though (just found a pdf for free- exciting!).

Yeah, probably a double major in math and physics at this point. And a Phd in theory, hopefully. I like pure math (namely topology and differential geo, from what I've seen) but mostly I'm interested in mathematical physics.

I guess you can go through Rudin and fill up the gaps along the way. So if you're looking for a math subject to self study, I think the next logical choice would be Abstract Algebra, for which you can use Artin. If I were you, I'd be focusing a little more on the physics though since you're relatively behind on it.

Hmm very true, I've been focusing mostly on math recently. On the physics end of things, I'm trying to work through an introduction to general relativity currently- that introduces relevant tensor calculus as it emerges. But perhaps it would be best to start with more formal classical mechanics now as well, rather than wait to take it as course in the spring. I found a free one online so it's definitely convenient. Thoughts?

dogpoint said:
Hmm very true, I've been focusing mostly on math recently. On the physics end of things, I'm trying to work through an introduction to general relativity currently- that introduces relevant tensor calculus as it emerges. But perhaps it would be best to start with more formal classical mechanics now as well, rather than wait to take it as course in the spring. I found a free one online so it's definitely convenient. Thoughts?

Maybe that's a little ambitious. Classical mechanics (Kleppner or Morin - I used Kleppner first) and Electricity and Magnetism (Purcell) took me about 1 year (although I was doing some math with it around that time as well).

Hm we'll see. I think I could cover classical mechanics this semester, then do E&M the next. My school offers a "quantum mech for mathematicians" in the fall that might be good to take also.

Anyway, thanks for all your help and textbook suggestions! I appreciate it a lot.

Columbia university?

1 per semester is a good goal. Good luck!

Ha yep, good guess. Thanks!

1. What are the most important courses to take in high school?

The most important courses to take in high school are typically those that are required for graduation, such as English, math, science, and social studies. These courses provide a well-rounded education and are necessary for college and career readiness.

2. Should I take advanced or honors courses in high school?

This depends on your personal goals and abilities. Advanced and honors courses can challenge you academically and may look favorable on college applications, but they also require a greater level of commitment and effort. Consider your strengths and interests when deciding if these courses are right for you.

3. Do I need to take electives in high school?

Electives are not typically required for graduation, but they can be beneficial in exploring your interests and discovering new passions. Electives allow you to take courses outside of the core curriculum, such as art, music, or technology, which can provide a well-rounded education and help you discover your strengths.

4. Are there specific courses I should take for a certain career path?

Yes, there are certain courses that can be beneficial for specific career paths. For example, if you are interested in pursuing a career in medicine, it is recommended to take biology, chemistry, and anatomy courses in high school. It is important to research the requirements for your desired career and speak with a guidance counselor to ensure you are taking the necessary courses.

5. Can I change my course load during high school?

Yes, it is possible to change your course load during high school. However, it is important to carefully consider any changes and consult with a guidance counselor or teacher to ensure you are making the best decision for your education and future goals.