Courses with Least Rigor?

• Thread starter Zophir
  • Start date
MarneMath
Education Advisor
I don't like the thought of having to specify a major. I enjoy having an understanding of everything and don't like limiting myself in that regard. I have no idea what I want to do with my life either so this makes choosing even more difficult.
I know how you feel. First, let me say when I was an undergraduate I hated proof base classes. Thinking about abstract algebra still makes me sick. It's part of the reason why I emphasized in statistics. (I thought stat didn't have any real abstract level math.) Sadly, in graduate school, most of my statistics courses that dealt with theory were heavy in mathematics. I had to take functional analysis just to finish my thesis =[.

Anyway, the reason why I quoted this part is because it makes it hard for us to help you. I'm clearly bias toward a person taking probability theory, because, imo, statistics is a field where you don't have to be a subject matter expert in a narrow field to be helpful to a myriad of disciplines. This has allowed me to jump from finance to bio-stats to quality control for a factory and then back to bio. However, just because I think it's a good idea, doesn't mean you'll enjoy it. So at this point I think any math elective that seems interesting to you is a good one, if for no other reason than to teach you want kind of math you like and what kind you dislike!

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ODE at NYU really depends on the prof...the one I took was pretty rigorous, maybe even more so than Analysis at times. If you know who's teaching it that would help. Discrete is a good class that is kinda an intro proof class that every comp sci major has to take..it shouldn't be heavy on rigor. Any modeling class is good. I hear great stuff about Math in Medicine and Biology. Take that if you can. Fall course offerings aren't as good as Spring though for some reason.