1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coursework Chemistry

1. Jan 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Coursework topic - Chemistry in daily life

Hi recently i am doing a coursework with topic " Chemistry in daily life" i am having trouble with where to start. The main purpose of this thread is asking for some chemistry experiment which involved in daily life.
    There are some topic suggested list in my paper like : Corrosion of metal, Identification of polymer, constituent of chopstick and etc.

My first attempt and thought to deal with this topic is to do some food chemistry experiment.
    Link : http://utah.agclassroom.org/files/uploads/estore/experiments_foodscience.pdf
    But i feel like this topic maybe out of field because it is mainly involve in biology.
    Anyone has some good idea about which experiment should be carry up other than food?
    I personally feel that food chemistry test is much easier but it will overlapping to biology field

My preferred experiment in this coursework
    - Low cost
    -Material is easily to obtain
    -Fast and simple
    -Does not required much time
    -Must involve with some chemistry stuff and formula

Anyone could help me is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Dozen iron nails, several spoons of kitchen salt and you have a nice corrosion experiment.

4. Jan 17, 2016 #3
    Sorry corrosion experiment has been chosen by other group in my class, Has any other else?

5. Feb 1, 2016 #4
    Could you elaborate on the "identification of polymers" part?
    Polymers can be quite exciting.

6. Feb 1, 2016 #5

Merlin3189

Gold Member

My favourite food chemistry is making carbon dioxide with sodium bicarbonate.

You can decompose it with heat by mixing it with hot partially caramelised sugar and letting that cool. Cinder toffee, or Crunchie.
    You can react it with citric acid. Mix (finely ground) Citric acid, NaHCO3 and sugar. Then when you put some in your mouth, the water (in your saliva) dissolves the chemicals allowing them to react. We call it sherbert, but I don't know what you call it. If you just stir some in water, it makes a fizzy drink, but I think the fizz on your tongue is better.

Needless to say, all chemicals must be food grade. (All are available in my local Sainsbury's, but if citric acid is a problem, try a Chinese food store.)

Not food, but you can always make a model volcano, put some carbonate in the tube, then pour in some vinegar (acetic acid) with a little detergent and red food colour mixed in. (You could use other acids and other carbonates, since you are not going to eat this.)

7. Feb 1, 2016 #6
    Or add KMnO4. Gives a nice pink effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted