Chemistry in Daily Life: Coursework Ideas & Experiments

In summary, this student is having trouble deciding on a topic for their coursework. They are looking for suggestions on what to do. They are also looking for advice on an experiment that could be done.
WeiLoong

Homework Statement

Coursework topic - Chemistry in daily life

Hi recently i am doing a coursework with topic " Chemistry in daily life" i am having trouble with where to start. The main purpose of this thread is asking for some chemistry experiment which involved in daily life.
There are some topic suggested list in my paper like : Corrosion of metal, Identification of polymer, constituent of chopstick and etc.

My first attempt and thought to deal with this topic is to do some food chemistry experiment.
Link : http://utah.agclassroom.org/files/uploads/estore/experiments_foodscience.pdf
But i feel like this topic maybe out of field because it is mainly involve in biology.
Anyone has some good idea about which experiment should be carry up other than food?
I personally feel that food chemistry test is much easier but it will overlapping to biology field

My preferred experiment in this coursework
- Low cost
-Material is easily to obtain
-Fast and simple
-Does not required much time
-Must involve with some chemistry stuff and formula

Anyone could help me is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dozen iron nails, several spoons of kitchen salt and you have a nice corrosion experiment.

Sorry corrosion experiment has been chosen by other group in my class, Has any other else?

Could you elaborate on the "identification of polymers" part?
Polymers can be quite exciting.

My favourite food chemistry is making carbon dioxide with sodium bicarbonate.

You can decompose it with heat by mixing it with hot partially caramelised sugar and letting that cool. Cinder toffee, or Crunchie.
You can react it with citric acid. Mix (finely ground) Citric acid, NaHCO3 and sugar. Then when you put some in your mouth, the water (in your saliva) dissolves the chemicals allowing them to react. We call it sherbert, but I don't know what you call it. If you just stir some in water, it makes a fizzy drink, but I think the fizz on your tongue is better.

Needless to say, all chemicals must be food grade. (All are available in my local Sainsbury's, but if citric acid is a problem, try a Chinese food store.)

Not food, but you can always make a model volcano, put some carbonate in the tube, then pour in some vinegar (acetic acid) with a little detergent and red food colour mixed in. (You could use other acids and other carbonates, since you are not going to eat this.)

Merlin3189 said:
Not food, but you can always make a model volcano, put some carbonate in the tube, then pour in some vinegar (acetic acid) with a little detergent and red food colour mixed in.

Or add KMnO4. Gives a nice pink effect.

What is Chemistry in Daily Life and why is it important?

Chemistry in Daily Life refers to the study of chemical processes and reactions that occur in our everyday lives. It is important because it helps us understand the world around us and how we interact with it. It also allows us to develop new products and technologies that improve our daily lives.

What are some examples of Chemistry in Daily Life?

Some examples of Chemistry in Daily Life include cooking, cleaning, hygiene, medicine, and cosmetics. For example, cooking involves various chemical reactions such as the Maillard reaction, which gives food its flavor, and the fermentation process, which creates bread and alcohol.

What are some potential coursework ideas for Chemistry in Daily Life?

Some potential coursework ideas for Chemistry in Daily Life include investigating the chemical composition of household products such as detergents and cosmetics, studying the effects of different cooking methods on food, or analyzing the chemical reactions involved in fermentation and food preservation.

What are some experiments that can be done to explore Chemistry in Daily Life?

Some experiments that can be done to explore Chemistry in Daily Life include testing the pH of different household products, creating chemical reactions by mixing household ingredients, or conducting a chromatography experiment to separate the components of ink or food coloring.

How can understanding Chemistry in Daily Life benefit us?

Understanding Chemistry in Daily Life can benefit us in various ways. It can help us make informed decisions about the products we use and their potential effects on our health and the environment. It can also inspire us to pursue careers in fields such as medicine, food science, or environmental science. Additionally, having a basic understanding of chemistry can improve our critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.