1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coursework help

1. Apr 5, 2008 #1
    Hi i have just been given my physics coursework and wondered if anyone had any pointers or tips on how to answer?

The question is on the expansion and contraction of wood with changes in temperature and humidity using a strain gauge.

We have to explain how we would use lab equipment to investigate how the resistance of a strain gauge attached to a piece of wood varies with the temperature of the wood.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, Hipgirl90. Some questions you can think about:
    1. What do you want to find out? For example "I want to be able to draw a graph of temperature vs. ..."
    2. How does the strain gauge work?
    3. Where / how do you attach it? Does it matter how you apply the strain gauge? For example, whether you put it along the block of wood, or across it?
    4. What does the strain gauge measure, and if that is not what you eventually want, how can you convert the answers (do you have a formula? do you need to gauge it?)?
    5. Is the purpose to try and find a formula (e.g. one that describes the graph in point 1), or do you already have such a formula you want to compare it to?
  4. Apr 14, 2008 #3
    i got a question.
    how to change the temperature of the wood. is Heating better or cooling and also what might be the best gule to stick the gauge to the wood?
  5. Apr 20, 2008 #4
    yeah i got the same exam paper >_<

im using epoxy raisin as a glue cz i think its very sticky and i guess it will expand and contract...

and im using silica gel to....soak up humidity xD

iv don e reserches and stuffs but i still dno how to structure the plan >_<

get back to me quick please x)
  6. Apr 21, 2008 #5
    i am using the same glue and have found out that an incubator is good for heating the wood.
    still need to draw a sketch and plan it all out:)
  7. May 11, 2008 #6
    incubator? how the hell are you gonna find that in a school lol.....................
  8. May 12, 2008 #7
    it can be found in biology lab
    sort of oven or something
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?