Investigating Wood Expansion & Contraction w/ Strain Gauge

In summary, the question is asking for help in understanding how a strain gauge works and how to measure the resistance of a wood with changes in temperature and humidity. The question asks for advice on how to change the temperature of the wood and how to find a incubator for heating the wood.
Hipgirl90
Hi i have just been given my physics coursework and wondered if anyone had any pointers or tips on how to answer?

The question is on the expansion and contraction of wood with changes in temperature and humidity using a strain gauge.

We have to explain how we would use lab equipment to investigate how the resistance of a strain gauge attached to a piece of wood varies with the temperature of the wood.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We have to explain how we would use lab equipment to investigate how the resistance of a strain gauge attached to a piece of wood varies with the temperature of the wood.

Welcome to PF, Hipgirl90. Some questions you can think about:
  1. What do you want to find out? For example "I want to be able to draw a graph of temperature vs. ..."
  2. How does the strain gauge work?
  3. Where / how do you attach it? Does it matter how you apply the strain gauge? For example, whether you put it along the block of wood, or across it?
  4. What does the strain gauge measure, and if that is not what you eventually want, how can you convert the answers (do you have a formula? do you need to gauge it?)?
  5. Is the purpose to try and find a formula (e.g. one that describes the graph in point 1), or do you already have such a formula you want to compare it to?

i got a question.
how to change the temperature of the wood. is Heating better or cooling and also what might be the best gule to stick the gauge to the wood?

yeah i got the same exam paper >_<
lol.

im using epoxy raisin as a glue cz i think its very sticky and i guess it will expand and contract...

and I am using silica gel to...soak up humidity xD

iv don e reserches and stuffs but i still dno how to structure the plan >_<
GAH!get back to me quick please x)

i am using the same glue and have found out that an incubator is good for heating the wood.
still need to draw a sketch and plan it all out:)

incubator? how the hell are you going to find that in a school lol.....

it can be found in biology lab
sort of oven or something

1. What is wood expansion and contraction?

Wood expansion and contraction is the natural process in which wood materials change in size as a result of changes in temperature and humidity. When exposed to heat and moisture, wood expands and when the conditions are dry, it contracts.

2. How is strain gauge used to investigate wood expansion and contraction?

A strain gauge is a device that measures the changes in the length and width of an object. It is attached to the surface of the wood and as the wood expands or contracts, the strain gauge will record the changes in dimensions, allowing scientists to study the effects of temperature and humidity on wood materials.

3. What factors affect wood expansion and contraction?

The main factors that affect wood expansion and contraction are temperature and moisture levels. When the temperature increases, the wood will expand and when the temperature decreases, the wood will contract. Similarly, high levels of humidity will cause the wood to expand and low levels of humidity will cause it to contract.

4. Why is it important to study wood expansion and contraction?

Understanding wood expansion and contraction is important for various reasons. It can help in the design and construction of buildings and furniture, as well as in the preservation of historical artifacts made of wood. It can also aid in predicting and preventing potential damage to structures and objects due to changes in environmental conditions.

5. What are some practical applications of investigating wood expansion and contraction?

Some practical applications of investigating wood expansion and contraction include developing more durable and stable wood products, designing structures that can withstand changes in temperature and humidity, and preserving historical wooden artifacts. It can also be used in industries such as furniture making, construction, and woodworking to ensure the quality and longevity of wood materials.