Advice on Coursework Load for Physics Major/Math Minor

In summary, the physics major/minor requires 13 credits, including 3 credits in Mathematical Methods for Physicists I, Introductory Modern Physics, and Mathematical Structures, and preparing a research paper and a poster at the AAAS annual meeting in February. The student is considering taking a 2 credit Tai Chi class or a 3 credit online sociology course to fulfill some general studies credits and be a sub-requirement for the physics major. It is ok to relax a little on classes, but the student should still focus on completing the physics major/minor and improving their academic performance.
Niteo
Hey all, I am currently a sophomore in Physics with a Math minor.
For this upcoming semester I will be taking 13 credits towards my major/minor: Physics III (mostly waves and optics), Mathematical Methods for Physicists I, Introductory Modern Physics (special relativity and quantum theory focus), and Mathematical Structures (a proofs class). In addition to this, I will also be preparing a paper and a poster for research that I was conducting class semester (will be presenting my poster at the AAAS annual meeting in February), and I will be working in a lab (and getting paid, ~10 hours a week) to work on some turbulence research that I am really excited about.

I need to have 15 credit-hours total for my scholarship, and I am kind of at ends as to what I should take for my last class. I am considering either a 2 credit Tai Chi class or a 3 credit online sociology course that fulfills some of my general studies credits and is a sub-requirement for my physics major. I feel kind of bad opting to take the Tai Chi class because it won't be doing anything for my academic advancement but, at the same time, I think it could be just what I need to take a mandatory mental breather from my lab and coursework.

I guess my question is: is it alright to relax a little on classes if I really want to excel in both my research and my coursework? Or should I just bite the bullet at take the sociology class?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is ok. Actually it is beneficial. People need something that will take them away from studying, day-to-day work, etc.

I have found that its always good to have one easier class to give you a break from your other classes. Overloading is very easy to do but can have very bad results. I have found that I do better when focusing on fewer things; I learn more and I feel much calmer and in control.

1. How many courses should I take as a physics major with a math minor?

The exact number of courses will vary depending on your university's requirements and your individual academic abilities. However, a typical course load for a full-time student is around 12-15 credit hours per semester. As a physics major with a math minor, you can expect to take a combination of physics, math, and general education courses each semester.

2. Is it better to take more advanced physics courses or focus on math courses for my minor?

It is important to strike a balance between both subjects. As a physics major, you should prioritize taking the required core physics courses to build a strong foundation in the subject. However, taking a few advanced math courses can enhance your understanding of physics and make you a more well-rounded scientist. It is recommended to consult with your academic advisor for personalized advice on which courses to take.

3. Will taking more courses each semester help me graduate faster?

While taking more courses each semester may help you graduate faster, it is important to consider the workload and your ability to manage it. Taking on too many courses at once can lead to a decline in academic performance and can be overwhelming. It is important to prioritize your mental health and well-being while pursuing your degree.

4. Can I take summer courses to lighten my course load during the regular academic year?

Yes, many universities offer summer courses for students to catch up or get ahead on their coursework. However, keep in mind that summer courses are often more condensed and fast-paced, so it is important to carefully plan and manage your time to succeed in these courses.

5. Is it possible to switch my major or minor if I am struggling with the coursework load?

Yes, it is possible to switch your major or minor if you find that the coursework load is too challenging. It is important to speak with your academic advisor and explore your options to see what best aligns with your academic and career goals. Keep in mind that switching majors or minors may also affect your graduation timeline.