• News
  • Thread starter Jason
  • Start date
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The Kansas school board lacks the competence of "defining" what science is.

russ_watters said:
Their definition appears to be pretty good, but this is one of the rare cases that I buy into the "slippery slope" theory: don't even give these guys an inch. They are absolutely tenacious in looking for ways to diminish science.
"a systematic method of continuing investigation" using observation, experiment, measurement, theory building, testing of ideas and logical argument to lead to better explanations of natural phenomena. [Emphasis is mine]
I think it's the 'logical thought' where they see ID fitting in. While I think logical thought is pretty important in science, it can't stand alone.

Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Russ - I agree. Overall it reads ok, but it's the improper forum and there are other motives involved.

Grogs said:
I think it's the 'logical thought' where they see ID fitting in. While I think logical thought is pretty important in science, it can't stand alone.
I'd also note the following set ups...

"using observation" (recall the frequent ID argument that you cannot witness, and therefore cannot prove, macroevolution)

"experiment, measurement" (frequent ID argument that you can't do evolution in the lab...at least macroevolution, that is)

"testing of ideas" (ID claiming to break up the status quo)

"logical argument" (the ID debate presented to the public is based on personal incredulity rather than examining the body of evidence)

"to lead to better explanations of natural phenomena" (a hint of things to come...replacement of mainstream theories with something that better suits philosophical beliefs)

Overall it is good for establishment to have masses ignorant and confused about science. american education is doing great job at stupyfying young people.

honestrosewater
Gold Member
"a systematic method of continuing investigation" - is that the whole definition? I realize "science" can be used very broadly, e.g. as opposed to art or religion, but isn't it here meant to refer to physical sciences? A definition of physical science that leaves out the physical part is unacceptable and applies equally well to math and philosophy.
Are they trying to remove the distinction between physical and nonphysical sciences?

Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Science operates under methodological naturalism, which basically means when trying to understand something, you use natural processes to explain it and do not invoke miracles. Other than that, it's neutral towards religion (i.e., God might exist, but any miracle is outside the scope of science and saying 'God did it' does not provide any scientific insight).

But many creationists view evolution (and sometimes even science in general) as engaging in philosophical naturalism, which is essentially atheism. It is that they are fighting against. So, they are trying to remove the scientific bias of accepting only natural explanations.

Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
stoned said:
Overall it is good for establishment to have masses ignorant and confused about science.
I'd disagree there. Scientific/technical knowledge has a strong economic and military benefit (and therefore a strong political benefit when dealing with world affairs).

Unless you mean the religious establishment? But I wouldn't pin that on all religions, just the more extreme fundamentalist ones.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Judge bans teaching intelligent design

By Jon Hurdle (2005-12-20)

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - A federal judge on Tuesday banned the teaching of intelligent design as an alternative to evolution by Pennsylvania's Dover Area School District, saying the practice violated the constitutional ban on teaching religion in public schools.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge John Jones dealt a blow to U.S. Christian conservatives who have been pressing for the teaching of creationism in schools and who played a significant role in the re-election of President George W. Bush

"Our conclusion today is that it is unconstitutional to teach intelligent design as an alternative to evolution in a public school classroom," Jones wrote in a 139-page opinion.

The school district was sued by a group of 11 parents who claimed teaching intelligent design was unconstitutional and unscientific and had no place in high school biology classrooms.

The six-week Harrisburg trial, one of the highest-profile court cases on evolution since the 1925 Scopes trial, was closely watched in at least 30 states where Christian conservatives are planning similar initiatives.

Intelligent design holds that some aspects of nature are so complex that they must have been the work of an unnamed creator rather than the result of random natural selection, as argued by Charles Darwin in his 1859 theory of evolution.

Opponents argue that it is a thinly disguised version of creationism - a belief that the world was created by God as described in the Book of Genesis - which the Supreme Court has ruled may not be taught in public schools.

In October 2004, Dover became the first school district in the United States to include intelligent design in its science curriculum.

Ninth-grade biology students were presented with a four-paragraph statement saying that evolution is a theory, not a fact, and that there are "gaps" in the theory. The statement invited students to consider other explanations of the origins of life, including intelligent design.

In a fierce attack on the Dover board - all but one of whom have now been ousted by voters -- the judge condemned the "breathtaking inanity" of its policy."

Jones defended the students and teachers of Dover High School whom he said "deserved better than to be dragged into this legal maelstrom with its resulting utter waste of monetary and personal resources."
Reuters - and http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051220/sc_nm/life_evolution_dc_1 [Broken]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051220/ap_on_re_us/evolution_debate_7;_ylt=AlkfjDqkVc3vLafsqtcCrsR7OyAi;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: