1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covalent bonding?

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Covalent bonding?

How do i write combined covalent bonds? For example how would i put together C and C to make a covalent bond(would it just be CC)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2
    Are you asking simply about notation?

Try C-C for a single bond, C=C for a double bond, etc.

4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    umm, im not sure, could you elaberate on that? Like for a homework assignment i must wright the combined form of C and C and i dont know how to write it. I know how it works i just dont know how to write the final answer.
  5. Sep 26, 2007 #4
    It would help if you reproduce here your assignment word-by-word. It is difficult to understand what exactly you mean. Perhaps you were asked about a molecule consisting of two carbon atoms [itex] C_2 [/itex]. You can also write it as C(four parallel lines)C to indicate "quadruple" bonding.

6. Sep 26, 2007 #5

Complete the following table by making covalent compounds, being sure that the octect rule is satisfied.

Element: Carbon|Oxyen|Nitrogen|
  7. Sep 26, 2007 #6
    their are many other questions but i just want to know how.

P.S. Read this like a math chart thing
    # |1|2|
  8. Sep 26, 2007 #7
    I think you should try to find such arrangements of atoms that by sharing their valence electrons they are surrounded by 8 electrons each (the octet rule). Some of the pairs are rather simple: diamond crystal in the case of C-C pair, [itex] O_2 [/itex] molecule in the case of O-O pair, [itex] CO_2 [/itex] molecule in the case of C-O pair. C-N and O-N are trickier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?