• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Covalent bonding?

• Thread starter jleposky
  • Start date
[SOLVED] Covalent bonding?

How do i write combined covalent bonds? For example how would i put together C and C to make a covalent bond(would it just be CC)?

Answers and Replies

How do i write combined covalent bonds? For example how would i put together C and C to make a covalent bond(would it just be CC)?
Are you asking simply about notation?

Try C-C for a single bond, C=C for a double bond, etc.

Eugene.

umm, im not sure, could you elaberate on that? Like for a homework assignment i must wright the combined form of C and C and i dont know how to write it. I know how it works i just dont know how to write the final answer.

umm, im not sure, could you elaberate on that? Like for a homework assignment i must wright the combined form of C and C and i dont know how to write it. I know how it works i just dont know how to write the final answer.
It would help if you reproduce here your assignment word-by-word. It is difficult to understand what exactly you mean. Perhaps you were asked about a molecule consisting of two carbon atoms [itex] C_2 [/itex]. You can also write it as C(four parallel lines)C to indicate "quadruple" bonding.

Eugene.

BONDING REVIEW WORKSHEET

Complete the following table by making covalent compounds, being sure that the octect rule is satisfied.

Element: Carbon|Oxyen|Nitrogen|
Carbon|Answer|Answer|Answer|
Oxygen|Answer|Answer|Answer|
Nitrogen|Answer|Answer|Answer|

their are many other questions but i just want to know how.

P.S. Read this like a math chart thing
ex:
# |1|2|
|1|1|2|
|2|2|4|

BONDING REVIEW WORKSHEET

Complete the following table by making covalent compounds, being sure that the octect rule is satisfied.

Element: Carbon|Oxyen|Nitrogen|
Carbon|Answer|Answer|Answer|
Oxygen|Answer|Answer|Answer|
Nitrogen|Answer|Answer|Answer|
I think you should try to find such arrangements of atoms that by sharing their valence electrons they are surrounded by 8 electrons each (the octet rule). Some of the pairs are rather simple: diamond crystal in the case of C-C pair, [itex] O_2 [/itex] molecule in the case of O-O pair, [itex] CO_2 [/itex] molecule in the case of C-O pair. C-N and O-N are trickier.

Eugene.