Covalent Bonding: Why Na 3s Electron Energy is Higher than Cl 3p

In summary, the energy of the 3s electron of Na is much higher than that of the 3p electrons of Cl because Na is more electronegative. The similarity of the 3s and 3p orbitals in symmetry allows for ionic bonding to form instead of covalent bonding, which is why NaCl is formed.
Clari
Why the energy of 3s electron of Na is much higher than that of the 3p electrons of Cl?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A simple rule of thumb from inorganic says that when comparing 2 atoms, the atom that is more electronegative will have atomic orbitals lower in energy when compared to another atom of lower electronegativity. Cl- is a lot more electronegative than Na so its orbitals are much lower than Na's atomic orbitals. Sodium chloride is also an ionic bond. If you look at it from a molecular orbital theory viewpoint, if the energies of orbitals are so different than the only bonding interaction that can occur is ionic bonding. In order for covalent bonding to occur you must satisfy 3 rules, proper distance, similar symmetry, and similar energies. While the 3p of the Cl and the 3s of the Na atom have similar symmetries, they do not satisfy the rule for similar energies. Thus no covalent bond can form, only an ionic bond.

Hello Gravenewworld, thank you very much for your clear explanation.. I understand why the energy of 3s orbital of Na is higher than that os 3s orbital of Cl...though I would like to ask: as 3p is different from 3s...why we can compare them this way..or is it that for elements with higher electronegativity, all their orbitals in the same shell is lower in energy than those atoms with higher energies?

Can you re-word your question? I don't really understand what you are asking.

im not sure by what he said seems to be true but i thought it was also (or) the size of the ions that you looked at when you had elements related. Top left most energetic bottom right least.

wait top right most, bottom left least

my questoin is "Why the energy of 3s electron of Na is much higher than that of the 3p electrons of Cl?", and you told me that it is because Na has lower electronegativity than Cl...but I suppose 3p is not 3s, so we can't compare them this way, isn't it? :smile:

Last edited:
You can compare 3p orbitals with 3s orbitals because they are similar in symmetry. The question is will the 3pz orbital of the Cl atom and the 3s orbital of the Na atom interact to form a covalent bond? Whether they will form a covalent bond once again comes down to the 3 rules I listed earlier. We already said that they are similar in symmetry, and proper distance is usually never a problem. The reason that the 3pz and the 3s orbital do not interact to form a covalent bond is still because of the differences in energy between the two orbitals. The electronegativity difference is so great that it causes the energy differences between the 3pz and 3s orbitals to still be large, so without similar energies a covalent bond can not form, which is why NaCl forms from ionic bonding.

I understand now..Thanks~~ ^-^

1. What is a covalent bond?

A covalent bond is a type of chemical bond in which two atoms share electrons in order to achieve a stable electron configuration.

2. Why is the Na 3s electron energy higher than the Cl 3p electron energy?

The Na 3s electron energy is higher than the Cl 3p electron energy because the 3s orbital is closer to the nucleus, resulting in a stronger attraction between the nucleus and the electron. This leads to a higher energy level for the 3s electron compared to the 3p electron.

3. How does covalent bonding occur?

Covalent bonding occurs when two atoms share electrons in their outermost energy levels, or valence shells.

4. What is the significance of the electron energy levels in covalent bonding?

The electron energy levels in covalent bonding determine the strength and stability of the bond. When two atoms have similar electronegativities, they will share electrons more equally and form a stronger covalent bond. However, if the electronegativities are significantly different, the bond will be more polar and the electrons will spend more time around the more electronegative atom.

5. How does the octet rule relate to covalent bonding?

The octet rule states that atoms tend to gain, lose, or share electrons in order to achieve a full outer shell of 8 electrons, similar to the noble gases. In covalent bonding, atoms share electrons in order to reach a stable electron configuration and fulfill the octet rule.