Covalent bonds formed by carbon

• Thread starter subhradeep mahata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bonds Carbon
In summary, the maximum number of covalent bonds formed by carbon with nitrogen is 4, despite the fact that it is unlikely to see this in practice due to the sensitivity of tetranitromethane to percussion.
subhradeep mahata

Homework Statement

What is the maximum number of covalent bonds formed by carbon with nitrogen?
A)2 B)3 C)4 D)1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not come across a single compound which has more than 3 C-N bonds. But my book is giving the answer as 4. Now, I am not sure whether this has to do with the extra lone pair of electrons on nitrogen atom or not, but i will be grateful to you if you could just help me out. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the maximum number of bonds carbon can form with any element?

It does not say with the same nitrogen atom, does it?

@DrDu No it does not say,but it would have been a really stupid question then. Suppose there had been hydrogen in place of nitrogen, would the answer would have been 4 then?
Let's say there is only one nitrogen atom, then would it be 3?

@Borek Carbon has a valency 4, so at most it can form 4 covalent bonds, but i have not seen carbon forming those 4 bonds with only one other atom. So, i guess it is 3.

It has been argued that the bond order in C2 is 4.

Well looking up Wikipedia it appears that tetranitromethane has been known since the 1860s. So for theory you see no reason why it shouldn't exist and it does exist. In practice you are unlikely to meet it. Trouble is it is more sensitive to percussion than TNT! And As far as I can make out there are some small applications, but big ones tend to meet this kind of end:

"This method was attempted on an industrial scale in the 1950s by Nitroform Products Company in Newark, USA, but the entire plant was destroyed by an explosion in 1953.[8]"

1. What is a covalent bond?

A covalent bond is a type of chemical bond formed between two atoms when they share one or more pairs of electrons in their outermost energy shells. This sharing of electrons allows the atoms to achieve a more stable electron configuration.

2. How are covalent bonds formed by carbon different from other types of covalent bonds?

Covalent bonds formed by carbon, also known as organic covalent bonds, are different from other types of covalent bonds in that they involve carbon atoms bonding with other carbon atoms and with other non-metal atoms, such as hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen. This allows for the formation of a wide variety of organic molecules, including the building blocks of life.

3. What are some examples of molecules that are held together by covalent bonds formed by carbon?

Examples of molecules held together by covalent bonds formed by carbon include methane (CH4), ethane (C2H6), and carbon dioxide (CO2). Other common organic molecules include sugars, amino acids, and fatty acids.

4. How do the properties of a molecule change based on the types of covalent bonds formed by carbon?

The properties of a molecule can vary greatly depending on the types of covalent bonds formed by carbon. For example, molecules with single bonds between carbon atoms tend to be more flexible and less reactive than those with double or triple bonds. Additionally, the presence of different functional groups, such as hydroxyl or carboxyl groups, can greatly influence a molecule's properties.

5. How do scientists study and manipulate covalent bonds formed by carbon?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study and manipulate covalent bonds formed by carbon. These include computational methods, spectroscopy, and chemical reactions. By understanding the principles of covalent bonding, scientists are able to design and synthesize new molecules for various applications, such as in medicine, materials science, and energy production.