1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covalent diectional?

1. Jan 19, 2006 #1
    covalent diectional??

Covalent bond is directional because it is due to the orbital overlap and orbitals can overlap only in certain directions to give constructive interference. (This is true I hope! comments pls!) .
    My question is when two s-orbitals (from two atoms) overlap how can it be directional because s-orbitals have spherical symmetries and have no certain directions??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2006 #2
    Well of course it's still directional. It points from one atom to the other one.

4. Jan 19, 2006 #3
    I'm agree. In molecular hydrogen, bond has an oval shape. It is possible to distinguish a symmetrical longitudinal axis and a transversal plan. Both of them include the origin of symmetry. You can also recognize it in all other non-ionic biatomical bonds, involving even now s-orbitals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?