1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covariance function property

Tags:
  1. Oct 25, 2014 #1
    Hi all. My task is to prove the property of covariance function:

##(r(n)-r(m))^2≤2r(0)(r(0-r(n-m)))##

My solution:

##1) (r(n)-r(m))^2=r(n)^2-2r(n)r(m)+r(m)^2##
    ##2) 2r(0)(r(0)-r(n-m)))=2r(0)^2-2r(0)r(n-m)##

From covariance function properties I know that ##2r(0)^2≥r(n)^2+r(m)^2##
    So now I just need to prove that ##r(0)r(n-m)≤r(n)r(m)##
    But dont know how to do that. Any thoughts? I'm not sure, maybe my way of solution is bad and I need to find other one. Any help would be appreciate.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the function ##r(n)##; that is, how is it defined, and what is its relation to anything?

4. Oct 26, 2014 #3
    If I understand you I'll try to answer.
    ##r(n)## is covariance function of stationary process. ##r(n)## show the covariance between two random variables and ##n## is operator of distance.
    ##r(n)=EX_nX_0-EX_nEX_0##
    Because process X is stationary, then ##EX_nX_0-EX_nEX_0=EX_{n+h}X_h-EX_{n+h}EX_h##
    And some properties:
    ##r(0)≥0##
    ##r(h)=r(-h)##
    ##|r(h)|≤r(0)##
    But it does not help me to solve the problem :(

5. Oct 26, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, so you have a stationary process in which
    [tex] \text{Cov}(X_{n+k},X_n) = r(k), k=0,1,2, \ldots . [/tex]
    In that case, the notation in the question still does not make sense: the RHS involves ##r(0-r(n-m))= -r(n-m)##, and I cannot fathom this. If we stick to your definition, this means
    [tex] \text{Cov}(X_k,X_{k-(-r(n-m))}),[/tex]
    and there is no reason for a time like ##t = k -(-r(n-m)) = k + r(n-m)## to be integer-valued.

Did your problem statement have a typo in it? Did you really mean ##r(0) - r(n-m)?##

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  6. Oct 26, 2014 #5
    Oh my God. I made a mistake :) In the first line it should be ##r(0)*(r(0)−r(n−m))##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted