How to Calculate the Covariance of Two Random Sums?

In summary, the covariance between Y1 and Y2 can be calculated by taking a probability-weighted average of the covariance formulas for each possible case, where the cases are determined by the values of m and n.
jimmy1
Suppose [tex]X_1,...,X_n[/tex] are independent and identically distributed random variables.
Now suppose I picked [tex]m_1[/tex] random variables from the set [tex]X_1,...,X_n[/tex] and defined [tex]Y_1[/tex] as the sum of the [tex]m_1[/tex] variables, where [tex]m_1[/tex] is also a random variable.
Now suppose I did this again and I picked [tex]m_2[/tex] random variables from the set [tex]X_1,...,X_n[/tex] and defined [tex]Y_2[/tex] as the sum of the [tex]m_2[/tex] variables, where [tex]m_2[/tex] again is a random variable.
I also know the expected number of random variables from the set [tex]X_1,...,X_n[/tex], that are contained in both sums [tex]Y_1[/tex] and [tex]Y_2[/tex]. Call this number [tex]a[/tex].

So I basically have two random sums, [tex]Y_1[/tex] and [tex]Y_2[/tex], and I want to find the covariance bwteen them, [tex]Cov(Y_1, Y_2)[/tex]. I came up with the following solution but it doesn't seem to work, so any pointers on what's wrong or how to go about doing it would be great.

So I just simply used the definition of covariance of sums, ie. For sequences of random variables [tex]A_1,...,A_m[/tex] and [tex]B_1,...,B_n[/tex], we have [tex]Cov(\sum_{i=1}^{m}A_i,\sum_{j=1}^{n}B_j) = \sum_{i=1}^{m}\sum_{j=1}^{n}Cov(A_i,B_j)[/tex].
So applying the above formula to my situation of [tex]Cov(Y_1, Y_2)[/tex], I have that because [tex]X_1,...,X_n[/tex] are independent, most of the terms in the double sum in the above formula will be zero, and will only be non-zero if [tex]X_i \equiv X_j[/tex], in which case [tex]Cov(X_i,X_j)[/tex] will be just [tex]Var(X_1)[/tex].
Hence the [tex]Cov(Y_1, Y_2)[/tex], will be just [tex]a*Var(X_1)[/tex] ?

There is something wrong in the logic above, as the formula [tex]a*Var(X_1)[/tex] doesn't seem to work, but I can't figure out where I am going wrong. Any help??

Physics news on Phys.org
If all the X's are mutually independent then doesn't that allow you to make a statement about Cov(X1+X2, X3+X4+X5), for example?

All the X's are mutually independent, so if I apply the definition [tex]Cov(\sum_{i=1}^{m}A_i,\sum_{j=1}^{n}B_j) = \sum_{i=1}^{m}\sum_{j=1}^{n}Cov(A_i,B_j)[/tex] to your example Cov(X1+X2, X3+X4+X5), then the answer is 0.

But in my situation there is a certain amount of overlap, For example, suppose I have the set [tex]X_1,...X_{20}[/tex], and [tex]m_1=5[/tex] and [tex]m_2=7[/tex], then I might have a situation where [tex]Y_1=X_1+X_3+X_6+X_8+X_9[/tex] and [tex]Y_2=X_1+X_2+X_3+X_6+X_{10}+X_{12}+X_{15}[/tex].

So in this case if I apply the above covariance of sum definition then [tex]Cov(Y_1,Y_2)[/tex] will not be 0, as there will be 3 non-zero terms in the sum (ie. [tex]Cov(X_1,X_1), Cov(X_3,X_3), Cov(X_6,X_6))[/tex].
So, as all X's are identically distributed, we get [tex]Cov(Y_1,Y_2)[/tex] = [tex]a*Var(X) = 3*Var(X)[/tex].

Now this formula, [tex]a*Var(X)[/tex], works when [tex]m_1[/tex] and [tex]m_2[/tex] are not random variables, but when they are random variables it doesn't work anymore. When they are random variables, I know what the expected values of [tex]m_1[/tex] and [tex]m_2[/tex] are going to be, and also know what the expected number of overlapping elements will be, call this [tex]a[/tex].

So from this information, anyone know how to get the expression for [tex]Cov(Y_1,Y_2)[/tex] when [tex]m_1[/tex] and [tex]m_2[/tex] are random variables??

Last edited:
To simplify, suppose you have X1, X2.

Then m = 1 or 2, and n = 1 or 2.

If m = 1 then Y1 is X1 or X2. If m = 2 then Y1 is X1+X2.

Similarly if n = 1 then Y2 is X1 or X2. If n = 2 then Y2 is X1+X2.

If you can make a table of these possible outcomes and assign a probability to each, you can calculate a probability-weighted average of the covariance formulas for each possible case.

1. What is the definition of covariance of random sum?

The covariance of random sum is a statistical measure that quantifies the degree to which two random variables vary together. It is calculated by taking the sum of the products of the deviations of each variable from their respective means.

2. How is covariance of random sum different from covariance of two random variables?

Covariance of random sum is a measure of the relationship between the sum of two random variables, while covariance of two random variables measures the relationship between two individual random variables. The former takes into account the combined effect of both variables, while the latter only considers the relationship between the two variables.

3. What does a positive covariance of random sum indicate?

A positive covariance of random sum indicates that the two variables tend to vary together in the same direction. This means that when one variable increases, the other variable also tends to increase, and vice versa.

4. How is covariance of random sum used in data analysis?

Covariance of random sum is often used in data analysis to measure the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. It can also be used to identify patterns and trends in data and to make predictions about future values of the variables.

5. Can covariance of random sum be negative?

Yes, covariance of random sum can be negative. A negative covariance indicates that the two variables tend to vary in opposite directions. This means that when one variable increases, the other variable tends to decrease, and vice versa.