Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Covariant Derivative Identity

1. Jul 16, 2005 #1
    I am trying to solve an exercise from MTW Gravitation and the following issue has come up:

Let D denote uppercase delta (covariant derivative operator)
    [ _ , _ ] denotes the commutator
    f is a scalar field, and A and B are vector fields

Question:
    Is it true that
    [D_A,D_B]f = D_[A,B]f
    ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Using a more familiar notation, i'll write

[tex] \left[\nabla_{\mu},\nabla_{\nu}\right]_{-}f(x) \ ? \ \nabla_{\left[\mu,\nu\right]} f(x) [/tex]

A remark. I've never seen the operator in the RHS. I'm sure [tex] ? \ \leftrightarrow \ \neq [/tex].

Daniel.

4. Jul 16, 2005 #3
    Well the original problem is to show that if [tex]f(P)[/tex] is a scalar field such that [tex]f(P_0)=1[/tex], and [tex]A,B,C[/tex] are vector fields, then
    [tex][\nabla_A,\nabla_B](f(P)C(P))-[\nabla_A,\nabla_B{A}](C(P))=[\nabla_{[A,B]}(C(P))[/tex]
    Unless I am doing something wrong, this immediately reduces to the above identity, which doesn't look true to me either...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  5. Jul 16, 2005 #4
    Hurkyl -- your (deleted) post was helpful. I see now that I was having trouble with the notation in which a vector times a scalar field denotes the directional derivative in that direction. Then the identity does follow, as you pointed out.
    Thanks

6. Jul 16, 2005 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the identity in your original post seems clear, unless I'm making a dumb mistake (which is easily possible): according to Spivak, [itex]\nabla_X f = X f[/itex], so we have:

[tex]
    [\nabla_A, \nabla_B] f = (\nabla_A \nabla_B - \nabla_B \nabla_A) f = (AB - BA) f = [A, B] f = \nabla_{[A, B]} f
    [/tex]

Your second post boggles me, because it looks like you're trying to take X(Y) where X and Y are both vector fields.

7. Jul 16, 2005 #6
    Whoops I wrote my second post incorrectly, it's editted.

8. Jul 16, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ouch, i guess you both realized that i hadn't read the "A and B are vector fields" part and mistakenly took them as subscripts.

Daniel.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook