1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covariant Derivative Identity

1. Jul 16, 2005 #1
    I am trying to solve an exercise from MTW Gravitation and the following issue has come up:

Let D denote uppercase delta (covariant derivative operator)
    [ _ , _ ] denotes the commutator
    f is a scalar field, and A and B are vector fields

Is it true that
    [D_A,D_B]f = D_[A,B]f
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Using a more familiar notation, i'll write

[tex] \left[\nabla_{\mu},\nabla_{\nu}\right]_{-}f(x) \ ? \ \nabla_{\left[\mu,\nu\right]} f(x) [/tex]

A remark. I've never seen the operator in the RHS. I'm sure [tex] ? \ \leftrightarrow \ \neq [/tex].

4. Jul 16, 2005 #3
    Well the original problem is to show that if [tex]f(P)[/tex] is a scalar field such that [tex]f(P_0)=1[/tex], and [tex]A,B,C[/tex] are vector fields, then
    Unless I am doing something wrong, this immediately reduces to the above identity, which doesn't look true to me either...
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  5. Jul 16, 2005 #4
    Hurkyl -- your (deleted) post was helpful. I see now that I was having trouble with the notation in which a vector times a scalar field denotes the directional derivative in that direction. Then the identity does follow, as you pointed out.
  6. Jul 16, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the identity in your original post seems clear, unless I'm making a dumb mistake (which is easily possible): according to Spivak, [itex]\nabla_X f = X f[/itex], so we have:

[\nabla_A, \nabla_B] f = (\nabla_A \nabla_B - \nabla_B \nabla_A) f = (AB - BA) f = [A, B] f = \nabla_{[A, B]} f

Your second post boggles me, because it looks like you're trying to take X(Y) where X and Y are both vector fields.
  7. Jul 16, 2005 #6
    Whoops I wrote my second post incorrectly, it's editted.
  8. Jul 16, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ouch, i guess you both realized that i hadn't read the "A and B are vector fields" part and mistakenly took them as subscripts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?