Covariant Derivatives: Doubt on Jolt & Proving Zj Γjk Vi = 0

In summary, covariant derivatives are defined as acting on vectors and returning vectors, and can be applied to any tensor by adding a ##+\Gamma## term for every upper index and a ##-\Gamma## term for every lower index. Grinfeld's definition of ##\delta/\delta t## for vectors is not applicable to general tensors, and his notation may be misleading as it implies the use of a vector notation.
kiuhnm
I've just learned about the covariant derivatives (##\nabla_i## and ##\delta/\delta t##) and I have a doubt.
We should be able to say that $$
J^i = \frac{\delta A^i}{\delta t}
= \frac{\delta^2 V^i}{\delta^2 t}
= \frac{\delta^3 Z^i}{\delta^3 t}
$$ where ##J## is the jolt. This should mean that $$
\frac{\delta Z^i}{\delta t} = \frac{d Z^i}{dt}
$$ but I can't prove it. This should be equivalent to proving that $$
Z^j \Gamma_{jk}^i V^k = 0
$$ Here's my heroic attempt: $$
\begin{align*}
Z^j \Gamma_{jk}^i V^k &= Z^j V^k \frac{\partial \pmb{Z}_j}{\partial Z^k}\cdot \pmb{Z}^i \\
&= Z^j \frac{d Z^k}{dt} \frac{\partial \pmb{Z}_j}{\partial Z^k}\cdot \pmb{Z}^i \\
&= Z^j \frac{d \pmb{Z}_j}{dt}\cdot \pmb{Z}^i \\
\end{align*}
$$ Now what? I also tried using the product rule but it doesn't seem to improve the situation...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kiuhnm said:
This should mean that

##\frac{\delta Z^i}{\delta t} = \frac{d Z^i}{dt}##

but I can't prove it.
Can you clarify your notations, and say why you think this should be true?

kiuhnm said:
I've just learned about the covariant derivatives (##\nabla_i## and ##\delta/\delta t##) and I have a doubt.
We should be able to say that $$
J^i = \frac{\delta A^i}{\delta t}
= \frac{\delta^2 V^i}{\delta^2 t}
= \frac{\delta^3 Z^i}{\delta^3 t}
$$ where ##J## is the jolt. This should mean that $$
\frac{\delta Z^i}{\delta t} = \frac{d Z^i}{dt}
$$ but I can't prove it. This should be equivalent to proving that $$
Z^j \Gamma_{jk}^i V^k = 0
$$ Here's my heroic attempt: $$
\begin{align*}
Z^j \Gamma_{jk}^i V^k &= Z^j V^k \frac{\partial \pmb{Z}_j}{\partial Z^k}\cdot \pmb{Z}^i \\
&= Z^j \frac{d Z^k}{dt} \frac{\partial \pmb{Z}_j}{\partial Z^k}\cdot \pmb{Z}^i \\
&= Z^j \frac{d \pmb{Z}_j}{dt}\cdot \pmb{Z}^i \\
\end{align*}
$$ Now what? I also tried using the product rule but it doesn't seem to improve the situation...

Even though it is written that way, a position ##Z^k## is not a vector. It's just an indexed collection of coordinate values. So there is no distinction between the covariant derivative of a position and the ordinary derivative of a position.

Likes kiuhnm
stevendaryl said:
Even though it is written that way, a position ##Z^k## is not a vector. It's just an indexed collection of coordinate values. So there is no distinction between the covariant derivative of a position and the ordinary derivative of a position.

That's what I'm trying to prove! I'm watching the videos by Pavel Grinfeld and he defines ##\delta/\delta t## as a way to rewrite the derivative of the velocity vector in a cleaner way. (One can then prove that this definition makes sense (e.g. the Leibniz rule applies)).
When he introduced the covariant derivative ##\nabla_i## he defined it on the contravariant components of a vector but then applied it to the vectors of the covariant basis itself, so I surmised that his definitions are "algorithmic" i.e. the same "rule" can be applied to different objects (and everything magically works out!)
Therefore, I thought that his writing ##J^i = \delta^3 Z^i / (\delta t^3)## implied that the same expression worked out even when applied to ##Z^i## and I was expecting to recover the equivalence with the ordinary derivative.

Well, proving that ##\Gamma^i_{jk} Z^j \frac{dZ^k}{dt} = 0## is not the way to prove that ##Z^j## is not a vector. The expression ##\Gamma^i_{jk} Z^j \frac{dZ^k}{dt}## only makes sense if ##Z^j## IS a vector (and also it only makes sense if ##\frac{dZ^k}{dt}## is a vector). But you don't need to prove that ##Z^j## is or is not a vector. What you need is to know that ##\frac{dZ^j}{dt}## is a vector. That's the velocity vector (or the components of the velocity vector).

Last edited:
Likes kiuhnm
kiuhnm said:
When he introduced the covariant derivative ##\nabla_i## he defined it on the contravariant components of a vector but then applied it to the vectors of the covariant basis itself, so I surmised that his definitions are "algorithmic" i.e. the same "rule" can be applied to different objects (and everything magically works out!)

Even though people write ##\nabla_j V^k##, and it looks like it is acting on the components of vector ##V##, that's not what is happening. Covariant derivatives act on vectors and return vectors. So strictly speaking, it should be written this way: ##(\nabla_j V)^k##. Its meaning is "Component ##k## of the covariant derivative of ##V##", not "The covariant derivative of component ##k## of ##V##".

A basis vector is a vector, so you can take the covariant derivative of it. The connection coefficient ##\Gamma^i_{jk}## is defined in terms of the basis vectors:

##\Gamma^i_{jk} = (\nabla_j e_k)^i##

Likes kiuhnm
stevendaryl said:
Even though people write ##\nabla_j V^k##, and it looks like it is acting on the components of vector ##V##, that's not what is happening. Covariant derivatives act on vectors and return vectors. So strictly speaking, it should be written this way: ##(\nabla_j V)^k##. Its meaning is "Component ##k## of the covariant derivative of ##V##", not "The covariant derivative of component ##k## of ##V##".

A basis vector is a vector, so you can take the covariant derivative of it. The connection coefficient ##\Gamma^i_{jk}## is defined in terms of the basis vectors:

##\Gamma^i_{jk} = (\nabla_j e_k)^i##

That makes more sense. Unfortunately, Grinfeld explicitly defined it on the components and that confused me a little. But what about general tensors?
His full definition works for any tensor ##T^{ijk\cdots}_{rst\cdots}##. Basically, there's the ordinary derivative and then an additional ##+\Gamma## term for every upper index and a ##-\Gamma## term for every lower index.

Last edited:
stevendaryl said:
Well, proving that ##\Gamma^i_{jk} Z^j \frac{dZ^k}{dt} = 0## is not the way to prove that ##Z^j## is not a vector. The expression ##\Gamma^i_{jk} Z^j \frac{dZ^k}{dt}## only makes sense if ##Z^j## IS a vector (and also it only makes sense if ##\frac{dZ^k}{dt}## is a vector). But you don't need to prove that ##Z^j## is or is not a vector. What you need is to know that ##\frac{dZ^j}{dt}## is a vector. That's the velocity vector (or the components of the velocity vector).

I'm not trying to prove that ##Z^j## is not a vector. I already know that. I was basically trying to prove that ##\delta \pmb{R} / \delta t = d\pmb{R} / dt## by using the formula for the covariant derivative. What are the components of the position ##\pmb{R}## vector, by the way? ##\pmb{R}## seems somewhat special because the covariant basis "originates" from it: $$
\pmb{Z}_i = \frac{\partial \pmb{R}}{\partial Z^k}
$$ In conclusion, should the definition of the covariant derivative be expanded to handle ##R## as well by basically saying that it's equivalent to the ordinary derivative? I thought I could prove that by using the general formula given to me.

kiuhnm said:
I'm not trying to prove that ##Z^j## is not a vector. I already know that. I was basically trying to prove that ##\delta \pmb{R} / \delta t = d\pmb{R} / dt## by using the formula for the covariant derivative.

I know. I'm saying that that doesn't make any sense. ##R## is not a vector, so you can't take the covariant derivative of it.

Likes kiuhnm
stevendaryl said:
I know. I'm saying that that doesn't make any sense. ##R## is not a vector, so you can't take the covariant derivative of it.

##R## is the position vector, so it's a vector by definition. To introduce ##R##, Grinfeld chose an arbitrary origin. The problem is that it can't be expressed through a covariant basis for obvious reasons so the covariant derivative is not needed and doesn't make sense. I thought that it was still applicable and the gamma term became 0.

Oh I see what you mean. I remember that in differential geometry the vectors are the elements of tangent space and R is merely a point on the manifold. Grinfeld uses a different approach...

kiuhnm said:
##R## is the position vector, so it's a vector by definition.

No, it's not a vector. In a flat geometry, it can be associated with a vector, but position is not a vector. The time derivative of the position is a vector, though.

If you have a vector ##V##, then you can relate its components in one coordinate system, ##V^j## to its coordinates in another coordinate system, ##V^a## as follows:

##V^j = \frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^a} V^a##

But let's see if ##x^j## itself satisfies this rule:

##x^j = \frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^a} x^a##

That's only true if the relationship between ##x^j## and ##x^a## is linear. It's not true if you're transforming between (say) Cartesian coordinates and polar coordinates.

Likes kiuhnm
stevendaryl said:
No, it's not a vector. In a flat geometry, it can be associated with a vector, but position is not a vector. The time derivative of the position is a vector, though.

If you have a vector ##V##, then you can relate its components in one coordinate system, ##V^j## to its coordinates in another coordinate system, ##V^a## as follows:

##V^j = \frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^a} V^a##

But let's see if ##x^j## itself satisfies this rule:

##x^j = \frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^a} x^a##

That's only true if the relationship between ##x^j## and ##x^a## is linear. It's not true if you're transforming between (say) Cartesian coordinates and polar coordinates.

OK, I think I understand now. The components ##V^j## and ##V^a## are related by the Jacobian matrix only because they're themselves derivatives and we can apply the chain rule. Thank you!

1. What is a covariant derivative?

A covariant derivative is a mathematical operation that is used to measure how a vector field changes as it moves along a given manifold, taking into account the curvature of the manifold. It is used in differential geometry and general relativity to describe the behavior of vectors and tensors in curved spaces.

2. What does the subscript "j" represent in the equation "Zj Γjk Vi = 0"?

The subscript "j" in the equation represents the index of the covariant derivative. In this case, it is used to indicate which component of the vector field is being considered.

3. What is the significance of the "Γ" symbol in the equation?

The "Γ" symbol represents the Christoffel symbols, which are coefficients used in the calculation of the covariant derivative. They relate the coordinates of a curved space to the coordinates of a flat space, allowing for the measurement of vectors and tensors in curved spaces.

4. How do we prove the equation "Zj Γjk Vi = 0"?

The proof of this equation involves using the properties of the covariant derivative, including linearity, the Leibniz rule, and the commutative property. It also requires knowledge of the properties of the Christoffel symbols and the metric tensor. The proof can be found in many textbooks on differential geometry and general relativity.

5. Can you explain how the equation "Zj Γjk Vi = 0" relates to the concept of parallel transport?

Yes, the equation "Zj Γjk Vi = 0" is a mathematical representation of the concept of parallel transport. It states that the covariant derivative of a vector field along a curve is equal to zero if the vector field is parallel transported along that curve. In other words, if a vector is moved along a path without changing its direction, then its covariant derivative will be zero.